Release Valve Pet Bottle Caps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
hey guys (hope this is the right forum, if not, please move for me and accept my apologies),

i was thinking of using the PET bottles that i normally bottle with, to act as a secondary FV.

a few questions:

1. technically, if FG is reached, this can be done right? just bottle the beer and store it and then when ready to carb, add the sugar/carb drops and raise to room temp?

2. if i do it BEFORE FG is reached, i could use those special release-valve PET bottle tops (EX Caps and other such names), then carb and put real bottle tops on - right?

stupid? waste of time? i don't have space for an actual secondary vessel and thought this might kill two birds with one stone.

fletcher

hey guys (hope this is the right forum, if not, please move for me and accept my apologies),

i was thinking of using the PET bottles that i normally bottle with, to act as a secondary FV.

a few questions:

1. technically, if FG is reached, this can be done right? just bottle the beer and store it and then when ready to carb, add the sugar/carb drops and raise to room temp?

2. if i do it BEFORE FG is reached, i could use those special release-valve PET bottle tops (EX Caps and other such names), then carb and put real bottle tops on - right?

stupid? waste of time? i don't have space for an actual secondary vessel and thought this might kill two birds with one stone.

fletcher

hey fletcher,

technically you are secondary fermenting (and conditioning) in the bottle. many (including myself, except in certain circumstances) don't bother racking to a 2nd vessel anymore. Time in the bottle will achieve the same results as racking to secondary... just longer

I wouldn't do that.
If you are sure that FG is reached, I would look at either bottle priming or bulk priming, cap them once and leave them.
By bottling, capping and then opening and re-capping you are adding an unnecessary step that could open up an opportunity for infection.
Keep it simple.

Latest posts

Back