Rejigged System Based On Joe Polvino - Now Chilling Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djackal

Reaction score
Hi, I've just spent the morning simplifying my AG rig. Gone is the complex array of silicon pipes and SS parts that I feel created flow problems and potential cleaning issues. Instead my pump is now mounted on an old sideboard with a hose coming in with disconnect to change from Kettle to Mash Tun, and a hose going out to either the HLT, Tun or Kettle (My only burner is a Rambo under the kettle).

I now am thinking what is the best way to chill it down at the end.
I have 3 pieces of equipment
1. Immersion Chiller
2. Mashmaster Plate Chiller #1
3. An old jocky box with cold plate

I want it to be quick (to minimise risk of infection) and easy to clean, what would be the best idea?

What would be good would be to have the water going into the Immersion chiller via the cold plate. This would drop the temp of the warm Perth tap water and hopefully cool the beer down quickly in the kettle. I then would not have to use the mash master Chiller which is a bit figity to clean.
But how can I connect these together?

Or is there an even easier way for me to do this? After watching Joe's video it was clear to me that Simplification of my system would lead to improved sanitation and thus a more efficient system.

Cheers,
Carl

if you go the immersion and the jockey box.

Run the immersion just on straight tap water to knock the initial high temps down, then hook up your pre chiller.

*whispering in djackal's ear*

Are you familiar with no chill?

I'm glad my video gave you some inspiration!

One option I've been considering is a prechiller using an old automotive heater core. What I'd do is hook my source water up to one of these and then submerge it in a bucket of icewater. If using an immersion chiller, you could use ordinary tap water to knock down the temp most of the way (from 100-ish down to maybe 45) and then put the prechiller online and bring it down the rest of the way.

Even though I currently use a CFC, the one thing I don't like about it is this: As I chill the wort exiting, the rest of the boil volume is sitting there very hot, degrading my aroma hop. Jamil mentioned this in his site as well. Going with an immersion chiller, particularly with a prechiller, will avoid this and leave a lot of cold break in the boil pot. My goal is to go this route this year some time.

Joe,

Another option is to simply add you flame out hops later (ie once your kettle is halfway drained)

cheers

Darren

I've been looking at a WIC as well, except recirculating glycol through a radiator with a fan using a 1200lph aquarium pump instead of using mains water. Can't come up with an easy means of isolating the copper from the stainless though, without draining kettle to a barrel, WIC in the barrel, then rack to fermenter

Back