Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating using the link above.
  1. Brewer's Friend is having an open giveaway, ends soon, so enter now!

Click Here to Enter Now!
    Dismiss Notice

Reiterated mashing tips for single vessel systems? Eg. Robobrew, GF etc.

Discussion in 'General Brewing Techniques' started by bingggo, 28/7/18.

1. bingggo

Posted 28/7/18
    Hi folks,

Any tips for reiterated mashing when going for a big stout on one of these systems?

Rounding numbers, I've got a 29L boil volume recipe to produce 1.106 OG, with about 13.5kg grain in my original Robobrew. It can only handle about 8kg grain at once.

From a bit of reading, I'm assuming I do the first mash with half the grain, but will only be able to sparge a small amount, so I have maybe 22L wort in the Robobrew after sparge. Then dump the grain, then mash the other half of the grain in the 22L, then sparge until I have 29L?

Still working out to what degree I sparge the second mash with the wort in the robobrew, and also with fresh water.

Cheers,
    B

2. Ralph

Posted 1/8/18
    13 kg of grain would be better served with 3 mashes instead of 2 in my opinion. Divide the grain equally and use a fine crush with lots of paddle stirring and some hulls. David heath has a good video on this. I done a 8.4kg double mash and got 28l @ 1.099 following his video- pretty good efficiency so may be you could rethink your grain bill. Ph has to be right- Do you have a meter?

good luck