Reiterated mashing tips for single vessel systems? Eg. Robobrew, GF etc.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Any tips for reiterated mashing when going for a big stout on one of these systems?

Rounding numbers, I've got a 29L boil volume recipe to produce 1.106 OG, with about 13.5kg grain in my original Robobrew. It can only handle about 8kg grain at once.

From a bit of reading, I'm assuming I do the first mash with half the grain, but will only be able to sparge a small amount, so I have maybe 22L wort in the Robobrew after sparge. Then dump the grain, then mash the other half of the grain in the 22L, then sparge until I have 29L?

Still working out to what degree I sparge the second mash with the wort in the robobrew, and also with fresh water.

Cheers,
B

13 kg of grain would be better served with 3 mashes instead of 2 in my opinion. Divide the grain equally and use a fine crush with lots of paddle stirring and some hulls. David heath has a good video on this. I done a 8.4kg double mash and got 28l @ 1.099 following his video- pretty good efficiency so may be you could rethink your grain bill. Ph has to be right- Do you have a meter?

good luck

Latest posts

Back