Rehydrate yeast ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkhlt1210

Reaction score
G'day guys just wondering how do I simply rehydrate yeast ?? Simple step by step guide!! Do I need sugar or something or just warm water??? Please someone give me an idiot proof guide

What yeast? Most manufacturers have info on their Web sites, rehydration values aren't the same across the board, they vary a bit..

Not say'n nothin......dont want another yeast version of War & Peace....

Yob said:
What yeast? Most manufacturers have info on their Web sites, rehydration values aren't the same across the board, they vary a bit..
Bry 97 please give me guidance

Plenty of threads about it. Type your topic into the internal search and you will find heaps. On the iPad now but here's a shot of what you will find.

image.jpg

The attached is from the Data Sheet, most dry yeast manufacturers will have similar instructions ontheir respective Data Sheets

Rehydrate.jpg

This one (BRY97), essentially, 110ml of boiled cooled water (30'c-35'c) >

Sprinkle > I agitate the yeast until all is submerged >

wait 15 mins >

If your wort that you are pitching to is greater than 10'c different to the yeast, add 200ml at a time and stir >

Wait 5 mins, Stir >

repeat until yeast and wort are approx 5'c different or as close to the same as the yeast as you care to get >

Pitch to wort.

Ferment.

If you need to ask.....just sprinkle on top.

Just used BRY97 today, the pack says re-hydrate in 100ml of water between 30 and 35 deg C for I think it was for 15 min.
Dead easy, boil some water pour it in a sanitised cup, stick a thermometer in until it gets below 35 deg and then stir the yeast in, wait 15 min or until within 5deg range of the wort, stir again and pour in the wort.

Easy a Gavo. I'm with yob, I just sprinkle on top if I'm using dry, which is not very often

I remember reading in one of the old threads, something along the lines of that the osmotic pressure of water is too low and can damage some cells. The osmotic pressure of wort is too high and can damage cells. If you rehydrate in a water / wort mix (around 1030) it is the best condition or osmotic pressure for rehydrating yeast.
Anyway just saying

manticle said:
And people freak out at the idea of using their first liquid yeast....
Smack pack. Wait till it swells. Cut corner off pack. Pour into fermenter.

Pretty simple.

Back