Regulators For Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chimera

Reaction score
I've been brewing for some time now and im seriously considering moving into kegging. The main thing stopping me is the outlay - its gonna be a few gorillas out of the budget to get the setup going, and i have to be able to justify these things to the missus.

Ive already lined up taps, (friends in hospitality), and at work i've been offered the permenant loan of a gas regulator..

The regulator in question is a Cigweld Comet 500 Oxygen, rated to some 400kPa, and i'm wondering if there is any reason why this wouldnt work with the nitrogen/CO2 gasses used in kegging? I see on the cigweld website they list a beverage regulator in their range with PTFE coated diaphragm to protect against CO2.. NRV, PRV etc etc.

Are these things important, or is one regulator as good as the next? Anyone familiar with regulators and what will/wont work i'd be keen to hear what you think.

Cheers

I've been brewing for some time now and im seriously considering moving into kegging. The main thing stopping me is the outlay - its gonna be a few gorillas out of the budget to get the setup going, and i have to be able to justify these things to the missus.

Ive already lined up taps, (friends in hospitality), and at work i've been offered the permenant loan of a gas regulator..

The regulator in question is a Cigweld Comet 500 Oxygen, rated to some 400kPa, and i'm wondering if there is any reason why this wouldnt work with the nitrogen/CO2 gasses used in kegging? I see on the cigweld website they list a beverage regulator in their range with PTFE coated diaphragm to protect against CO2.. NRV, PRV etc etc.

Are these things important, or is one regulator as good as the next? Anyone familiar with regulators and what will/wont work i'd be keen to hear what you think.

Cheers

The thread and seat of the reg. are different

Batz

What I am saying is it won't fit a C02 bottle

Batz

I sell Harris 601 Dual Gauge CO2 Regs for 82.50 - Will give you a start for price comparison.

Hi Chimera
The stem on the regulator can be unscrewed so you can then just get the right stem to suit co2 tavern gas bottles. But you might have a problem as the thread in some of the older CIG regulators may not fit the new co2 stem. This is what hapened to me.
I ended up buying the proper reg and was done with it . Also the proper co2 regs max out at 400 kPa,so you dont have any potential dramas with overcharging and the like. Regs used for oxy/acetylene etc may go higher I think.
Cheers Peter

Getting the correct stem and nut will be a problem,BOC won't sell you one.and then you'll have to set your keg pressure...weld or cut?

Batz

Batz..
I have a couple of old CIG regulators sitting in a cupboard ..waiting for the day...
Looks like i will have to check the thread out.....THanx :D
I was hoping one day they may come in handy....
Cheers
PJ

Co2 regs.

Sounds like a few extra dollars will save a fair bit of fussing about.
Ill hold on to it anyway, might still be useful for something down the track

Sounds like a few extra dollars will save a fair bit of fussing about.
Ill hold on to it anyway, might still be useful for something down the track

Here's a cheap co2 reg. $5.00

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CO2-FLOW-REGULATOR-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Batz

Be careful with this reg, it might just be a valve and NOT actually regulate... I learnt this the hard way with a couple of small regulators :angry:

P.S If anyone wants a small co2 valve for a portable setup I have a couple for sale.

Thanks Batz for the link. Ill hold off for a harris or micro matic and just do it properly.

I see country brewer has a $350 special on a two keg setup, might go for that unless i can find someone in Melbourne and save on postage.

Went through this regulator exercise recently. Top of the range seems to be Micromatic which was recommended to me by at least 4 experienced brewers. Held off getting one as they were about $150. Just bought one from Ross for $97. Pic and details here These are a very nice regulator.

GMK's Harris price is very good. Think I was charged about $120, maybe more, for mine!

Also, double check that your mates taps will work OK. Some of the hospitality taps have large diameter lines etc. which could cause some probs and add some cost. You can get a cheap nylon tap that works extremely really well for about $10-$15 from Ross or Grain and Grape.

Cheers
PP

Hi PP,

Can you tell me what the difference is between the Harris 601 and the Micromatic you got? I was thinking of using the Harris 601 for my setup, but if the Micromatic has a number of benefits I could go for it instead. :p

Cheers,

Morrie

Can you tell me what the difference is between the Harris 601 and the Micromatic you got? I was thinking of using the Harris 601 for my setup, but if the Micromatic has a number of benefits I could go for it instead. :p

In no particular order:

1. Attracitive modern design
2. Intergral pressure relief valve
3. Easy to use dial knob for pressure adjustment + saftey lock feature (essential with kids around)
4. Reliabillity

You get what you pay for... :)

Cheers Ross

Thanks for the info Ross. :)

Any idea on how much it would cost to send 1 down to Hobart?

Thanks for the info Ross. :)

Any idea on how much it would cost to send 1 down to Hobart?

$8.40 for a 3 kg satchel - Unit weighs 1.25 kg, so room for other bits & pieces you may need.

cheers Ross

3. Easy to use dial knob for pressure adjustment + saftey lock feature (essential with kids around)
4. Reliabillity

You get what you pay for... :)

Cheers Ross

Not that I'm dissing either reg, but I use a Harris 601 and the dial knob is plenty easy to use :blink: seems pretty reliable too...nothing bad has ever happened...is the harris known for reliability problems? or difficult to use pressure adjustment knob for that matter? ;)

Sorry Morrie, missed your previous question but looks like Ross got you covered. Re the Harriss...

I was told by BOC that Harris parts were hard to get and generally non-compatible. Mind you, at the time they were trying to flog me one of their regs - lol!

I have both regs in front of me now and I have to say that the Micromatic seems to be superior in all ways. One important things is ease of adjustment at the lower end of the scale i.e. pouring pressure. My Harris was never much good at this - maybe I got a dud.

P.S. Also edited my comment on taps made in post above in case that side interested you as well.

Back