Regulator repairs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattSR

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a TeSuCo regulator that has dual outlets and pressure regulators. The bottle got knocked over accidentally (its empty) and the bottle pressure gauge was bent and smashed up. Apart from that its fine.

Where should I take it to get it fixed? TeSuCo direct at Silverwater mentioned that since I don't have an account and I'm not a trade customer, then its probably not worth it and I'd have to speak to someone internally there to get it fixed.

A new one off eBay is about $160 delivered and I'm thinking by the time its taken apart, a new gauge fitted and seals are replaced and its tested OK, that a new reg will be be cheaper and easier...

Unless of course someone knows of a better way to get it fixed..

Cheers,
Matt

I can't answer your question sorry but rather than buy another dual reg, I would buy the single regulator and use it for parts. One would assume it has the same bottle pressure gauge and would leave you with spare parts for the likely cost of getting it fixed anyway.

Hi Amber,

Yep thats a very valid idea, but the pressures contained inside the reg are extremely high and I'm not comfortable working on a regulator myself. Sure I can turn a spanner and I'm reasonably mechanically minded, but with stuff like this theres no room for error.. :ph34r:

Cheers,
Matt

Don't quote me on this as I have not tried myself but I would have thought it just be a case of unscrewing the pressure gauge then screwing it to the dual gauge. I wouldn't have thought there would be any pressure evident whilst it is not connected to a bottle and any pressure inside the gauge, if there is any, wouldn't be a problem as they should be sealed anyway.

I just managed to fix a dual outlet tesuco reg by cannabilising a spare Harris reg I picked up cheap.
There's not much to them, just don't use any oil of any kind. I just swapped in the handle/front section.

*I think Tesuco sell spare gauges? Or you could try BOC etc. ?

If it is just the guage itself thats stuffed, you should be able to get a replacement fairly easily, I note CB sell Micromatic ones, however if it is the regulation mechanism, I too would want it fixed by a pro, I know there are kits available to rebuild regs but all come with the caviate they should be installed by a qualified person.

Some CO2 gauges are LH thread and some are conventional RH thread

Tesuco regs are usually RH thread.

Which gauge is broken...the High Pressure or the Low pressure.

The HP is easily available on ebay.

The LP one will be available..with a little googling.

Or just ring Tesuco

Cheers

Give you the tip - my blokes smash regulators regularly.
6 years ago we used to get the repaired. These days its cheaper and easier just to buy new ones. Unless you've got one of the fancy regs that are $350+ I'd suggest just buying a new one.

Having said this from what I read its just the HP gauge - in which case change it over yourself its easier than changing a tap washer.

Hi Guys,

My local HBS stocks the high pressure TeSuCo gauges. Seems I'm not alone and it happens quite regularly lol.

One question - I unscrewed the old broken gauge and there didn't seem to be any tape or anything on the thread, should I just use a little of the yellow plumbers gas tape on the thread? I'm guessing its that easy, but with the pressures involved (6000kPa) I'm concerned about leaks, or having the gauge fly out of the regulator at Mach 1 and killing someone....

Cheers,
Matt

I recently dropped and broke my little keg charger, while not the same as being discussed...

Araldite.JPG

What a liberal coating/filling of Araldite cant fix aint worth fixing... sure the guage dont work so good no more but in all honestly, it doesnt really matter that much

:lol: :ph34r:

Grab a small tube of high pressure gas thread sealant, screw the old one off, add the slightest smear of the sealant to the male read. (Tiny bit) and make sure it's reasonably tight when seated. Let it sit for 24 hrs before use.

It'll be fine.

HBHB - thanks, you are a champ. I have some yellow tape like plumbers tape but wasn't sure if it was right to use - when I removed the old gauge there was some substance in the threads but wasn't sure if it was corrosion/age or a sealant. Now I know

:beer:

Cheers buddy!

Thought I'd give a quick update, I don't brew very often so I have had this shelved for a while...

I used the thread sealant from Bunnings and screwed the gauge in nice and tight - seems to be holding pressure well. I tested it by opening the bottle to pressurise the HP side of the regulator, then closed the bottle off and checked for any leaks. Seems to be holding pressure well.

Thanks for the help fellas!

Back