Regulator Low Gauge - Incorrect reading?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister clark

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was hoping someone may be able to help with a used regulator I just picked up.

The low gauge reads 0.8 bar approximately when not connected to the bottle or when the bottle is shut off.

Once I open the bottle up I can adjust the pressure levels above 0.8 but I'm not confident it's reading correctly.

I've attached a picture, but, was hoping someone could point out the silly mistake I'm obviously making :)

Can anyone offer an opinion as to whether it's broken?

Thanks in advance, Mr Clark.

Attachments

• reg.jpg
    reg.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
Not broken but stressed.
The easy option being to replace the gauge. The other option being to try and trim it back to zero.
You will need to take the front off the gauge.
There are two approaches from here
In either case tweezers are good.
1/ You might be able to pull the needle off its spindle and relocate it to point to zero
Push it back down the spindle
Replace front cover
2/ Bend the needle up so it can go past/over the "peg" that stops the needle going below zero.
Gently! wind the needle backwards, then let it spring forward, you might have to go more than 1/2 a turn backwards.
Keep doing this until the needle points to Zero
Bend the needle back down, make sure it isn't pressing on the peg too hard - or it will be out the other way. Nor touching the face of the gauge.
Replace front cover.

Its a bit of a knack, and if you stuff it completely, buy a new gauge
Generally caused by over pressurising, turning on too fast or having the reg wound in when you turn the bottle on. Gauges used to be both expensive and fragile, the price has come down, but they can be surprisingly fragile.
Mark

Although it should set to zero on removal from the bottle have you pulled the prv? Also as there could be some crap in there set gauge at high pressure, turn gas on, then off and release pressure. Do this a few times.

Failing that go dowm MHB's path.

Thanks guys, appreciate the reply's.

I'll give it a go tonight.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to if I could effectively consider 0.8 bar as my new 0 (if that makes sense) rather than moving the actual needle?

Yes could, but you would need to check that if you say dialled up 30 psi it doesn't actually go to 30psi and is correct. Do you have a spunding valve?

Just thought, if you connect to a keg with no co2 in it and connect up with the reading at 0.8 and gas goes in, then the gauge is working but not zero- ing out, thus the other readings would be as they are.

Does the gauge have a 1/4" thread? If it does, and you would like me to I can send you another gauge. Not a Micromatic one, but that shouldn't matter.
I have a few kicking around the shed.

Thanks chaps for all the the replies - I'll give all the suggestions a go when I get in tonight and let you know the outcome.

Pnutapper, thanks very much for the offer, I really appreciate it! I'll see if I can fix it as per above but may take you up on your offer, I'll make a donation to the forum or charity if I do :)

Latest posts

Back