Regulating LPG flow/pressure to maintain HERMS temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky

hop addict
Reaction score
I'm looking at building a largeish HERMS using LPG to heat the surrounding water. Having not really used gas before can someone point me in the right direction as far as the required parts go for automatic regulation of propane flow to a burner based on an output temperature? Is it commonly done? I think I have read of it being done before but my online search only brings up extravagant industrial applications. Some sort of control valve that accepts an analogue input would be ideal.

husky,
The yanks automate LPG for their rigs, but use pid on/off no flow/pressure control; usually incorporating a honeywell type gas valve and either pilot light or hot surface ignitor. I have seen a rig or two doing this with HLT as HX with internal coil and from what I understand most have the HLT temp around 2c high than required mash temp. On anything above 20L odd I recon you'd need to whirlpool to avoid hot and cold spots. But note some of those crazy sepos also direct fire mash tuns. Let me know if you want some links.

I'd still head the path of CFC for HX same gear but you can isolate the mash loop from heat by simply closing a valve or turning off the HLT pump
counter-flow-chiller-ss.jpg

MJ

I'm looking at building a largeish HERMS using LPG to heat the surrounding water. Having not really used gas before can someone point me in the right direction as far as the required parts go for automatic regulation of propane flow to a burner based on an output temperature? Is it commonly done? I think I have read of it being done before but my online search only brings up extravagant industrial applications. Some sort of control valve that accepts an analogue input would be ideal.

This thread may help? https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/perfect-temp-control-with-gas.78566/

Latest posts

Back