Regenerating Yeast - Please Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazeboar

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a problem with my pilsner batch, and would be most grateful for any advice from someone that knows what they're doing, unlike myself.

I've just restarted basic kit brewing after having a streak of bad luck (or skill) with my prior batches. I had originally thought I had been having issues with sanitation, but it's only just occured to me the true obvious problem i've been having which I somehow overlooked - poor temperature control. It's very hot where I'm brewing (generally 26-30 around this time of year), and for the batch I started yesterday, I pitched the yeast at 28 degrees celcius. The problem I've had with the last batches is that i've ended up with unwanted fruity and sweet esters in the beer, I presume as a biproduct of poor fermentation. Generally what happens is the fermentation is agressive for one or two days, and then dies off and ferments slowly, thus being under-fermented. After doing some reading, I can now acknowledge this could be the cause.

Here are the ingredients I used for the batch I made yesterday in a 23 litre plastic fermenter:

Brewcraft czech pilser can extract
Brewcraft no 62 conversion pack
Extra saaz finishing hops
Fermentis saflager yeast

I am aware that i've used the wrong yeast now, as it says on the pack: "11-24C, ideally 11-15c". I feel foolish for pitching this type of yeast at 28 degrees, and now realise the error of my ways. I was away last night, and checking the fermentation this morning the same thing has happened - the yeast has gotten off the a quick start but has now slowed right down, it may have died. Can/should i restart the brew with a more suitable yeast or have I ruined this batch also? Would love to be able to salvage it, as I've bought good quality ingredients, and also I'm not wanting the sheer frustration of it to deter me from trying again.

Thanks for any advice,

Darren.

If it's fermenting at 28c then it's probably finished after 2 days. The fruity esters would be created by the yeast going haywire at those temps.

Did you measure the finishing gravity? that should give you an indication of whether the fermentation has stopped early or not.

So, a simple solution is to use a yeast that accomodates the brewing temp and I won't have these issues? Well, the fermentation has only durated to 21 hours or so now, so I was skeptical as to whether or not it could have possibly finished. Also, because it had been less that 24 hours, I thought I may have been able to restart the brew and hopefully avoid those same 'off' flavours I've been getting in my last few attempts.

If it's been a couple of days at 28, it's all over red rover! You brew is fruity and loaded with fossil fuels. :icon_vomit:

Get the fermenting temps sorted out and you will improve the beer heaps

Try pick up an old fridge to house the fermentor (hopefully free), and have a search on here about STC-1000 /or fridgemate to control it.

There are not many beers you want to think about at 28, and def no a pils.

QldKev

Basic rule of thumb for fermenting

Ales @ 18-21'C

Lagers @ 9-13'C

Above those temps and youll be getting a lot of fruity esters from the yeast working at high temps

There are some simple solutions to controlling fermentation temperatures, just have a looksee around the forums.

Worst case scenario, just brew belgiums @ those higher temps

Sponge

*SIGH*

Thought that'd be the case, climate here is frankly awful for moderating temperature. Thanks for the advice lads :)

*SIGH*

Thought that'd be the case, climate here is frankly awful for moderating temperature. Thanks for the advice lads :)
If you don't want to bother with a fridge just get a heat pad and brew Saisons (26-32deg) in summer and wait until winter to brew your Ale's (16-22deg)

Ah, brilliant. Those are really good options, thanks a bunch. :)

Back