Refurbishing An Ancient Firestone Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the Pavlova and sheep make it seal better?

from the linky the parts your looking for are part No.H401T26 and part No.H401T28 they are female 1/2 inch BSP threads, I have these kegs, call them and the sale guy will sort you out, trust me :ph34r:

Hi,

My father has been using a couple of these old (from the 60s) Firestone Mytton kegs for many years, he has now passed and I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in them ?

Thanks

Chela

Reviving an old thread as I've just scored two of these old mytton kegs.

They're stamped on the lower steel rim with 'Firestone. Mytton Grosvenor South Melb. 20l.'

They were a bit dirty but have cleaned up nice with a good soak and scrub in bleach.

I replaced the poppets with new universal ones with the longer springs. The new poppets don't work without the original screen and circlip, I tried without and they just flap in the breeze. The clips are a bit tricky to get back in but go alright with a bit of force.

They were already converted to ball lock, so all I had to do was throw new seals all around the posts, the release valves and lid, and they're good to go. The posts were dirty and took a lot of polishing to get into a useable condition.

They need lifesaver seals under the posts, a liquid post o ring on the dip tube under the lifesaver. I haven't found one of these yet. There is no gas dip tube, only an opening.

The release valves are a tab you push to the side rather than a ring pull. I replaced the o ring on this with a poppet o ring. Its a bit too big and doesn't release pressure. That doesn't worry me as long as it holds pressure I can release it by pushing on the gas in poppet.

They're solid as a rock. No rubber feet and weigh about twice as much as a corny. The stainless is thick at the opening.

Pretty happy to have found them. Just thought any information on them might be useful as there isn't a lot out there.

Ring Martin at National Homebrew, he has the seals you need but they aren't listed on the website.
I wouldn't soak anything stainless in bleach, use oxalic acid which is sold in Bunnings as Diggers rust and stain remover.

Cheers for that, a small time in bleach won't hurt them much, it usually gets my sinks looking like new, and I only had them in it for 30 minutes or so to get the stains off.

I soak anything I get secondhand in bleach, rinse well, soak in non scented napisan, rinse thrice and replace all seals. You don't know where they've been before.

Once they're in rotation I just use the no name napi san for cleaning, rinse well and the sanitise with starsan in a spray bottle.

Just wanted to give this thread a nudge as I'm trying to get my Firestone/Mytton Rodd kegs going. Took them round to Mozza's last night to give them a seal test but they were leaking a little bit. I'm trying to figure out if I have the right seals.

On the gas in side I have a nylon washer and a post which has a rubber seal around it. That side seems ok. On the beer out side I have the long dip tube with a rubber washer around it and then a post with a rubber seal but not a nylon washer. Wondered if I need a nylon washer for this too? Does anyone have any images on how these kegs should be set up so I know I'm not missing anything?

Thanks!

I have 1 of the Mytton Rod kegs but also a couple of Pepsi style cornies with the same racetrack style lid. I was having a bugger of a time getting the lid to seal - cleaned and lubed without improvement - then I noticed one of the lid seals in my spare parts was slightly thicker - problem solved. Seems that maybe the racetrack lids are less forgiving than the oval shape ones.

The thinner lid seal might explain one of the other sources of gas leakage from my kegs. I'm using a Corny keg seal and despite lathering it up with keg lube, there was still a bit of leakage. Might have to order one of those seal kits from NHB.

Andale also carry all the parts, have found Steve at Somersby very helpful over the years 02 43 404 111 from memory.
Mark

I was up at Brewman on Friday among some other bits and pieces I got some parts for some old 9 litre kegs of mine, as you are local Ziggy, it might be worth knowing he has parts in stock, don't know if they are on the website.

The flat washer under the 1/2" BSP male post thread is called a life saver washer
The internal seal is called a top-hat seal
the outside O-Ring is the same as the one on a ball-lock corny
Mark

MHB said:
I was up at Brewman on Friday among some other bits and pieces I got some parts for some old 9 litre kegs of mine, as you are local Ziggy, it might be worth knowing he has parts in stock, don't know if they are on the website.

The flat washer under the 1/2" BSP male post thread is called a life saver washer
The internal seal is called a top-hat seal
the outside O-Ring is the same as the one on a ball-lock corny
Mark
Hi Mark
Its Chris (Computers) used to be at waratah.. these ones I have here I pulled them apart they seem to have 2 seals. in both in and out.

Hey Mark

here is a pic under the post...

Rgds
Chris

20160306_162851_001.jpg

Hey Chris - long time no see
Yep the yellow washer is the one you replace with a lifesaver (the yellow ones mostly crumble up and make a hell of a mess).
If you have any problems PM me and I'll arrange a time to show you how to fix them.
In the easykeg link the internal is called a "Mushroom seal".
Mark

Back