Refractometers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GMK said:
Ross said:
Well, I just bought 2 of these & worked out at AUD 50 each delivered to my door.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-0-32-ATC-Brix-R...oQQcmdZViewItem

Has yours some other featues kenny? - Very pleased with mine...
[post="85459"][/post]​

If you got yours for 50.00 AUSD - fantastic.

But the ebay says 31.00 US plus 8.00 US surface mail or 14.00us for air ...

so taht is 39-45.00us = 53.00 to 63.00 Aus.

so well done - u can organise a bulk buy for the next 10. :super: :D
[post="85546"][/post]​

Kenny, simple maths for 2 units. USD 62 + USED 14 For quick air freight = USD 76

IE USD 38 each. Ex rate today = 0.75 = AUD 50.66c.

i wasn't questioning the price, as I assumed you had got a more expensive model.
If not, indicating AUD 70 seems a tad expensive for a bulk buy?

I bought one on ebay brand new about six months ago for approx $50AUS including postage from the US. The scale goes to 30 brix and it has auto temp control (not really needed) Works like a gem!!!

Probably bulk buy is the go.... a dollar saved is a dollar brewed with.

Mudsta :beerbang:

i assumed bulk buys were for the common good of the buyers, ie at cost. with maybe the organiser getting the bonus of any freebies etc thrown in?

If something is a comercial deal, should it not be done through the trading post & just offered at a price? I certainly have no problem with anyone making a margin, that's business.

Not knocking anyone here, but when I have handled bulk buys, it's been done at cost & just assumed that was the whole idea?

I'm happy to stand corrected ? :) ...

cheers Ross

i think if your going to the trouble of organizing purchase and sales, then a small mark up is fine. Thats business. Also good if you can still offer a cheap deal, keeps people happy and coming back.

If your doing it for no profit then you are a dying breed sir. Good deeds are almost extinct these days. i take my hat off to you!!! :beerbang:

Ross said:
i assumed bulk buys were for the common good of the buyers, ie at cost. with maybe the organiser getting the bonus of any freebies etc thrown in?

If something is a comercial deal, should it not be done through the trading post & just offered at a price? I certainly have no problem with anyone making a margin, that's business.

Not knocking anyone here, but when I have handled bulk buys, it's been done at cost & just assumed that was the whole idea?

cheers Ross
[post="85567"][/post]​

Ok Ross I'll fess up, I think on the bulk buy of culture tubes that I did there was one extra out of the 1500. I am pretty sure no one got short changed so I kept it for myself as a freeby :eek: , the only thing I didnt pay that others did was postage.

So in a nutshell I agree with you as thats the spirit of a bulk buy

Ausdb

mudsta said:
i think if your going to the trouble of organizing purchase and sales, then a small mark up is fine. Thats business. Also good if you can still offer a cheap deal, keeps people happy and coming back.

If your doing it for no profit then you are a dying breed sir. Good deeds are almost extinct these days. i take my hat off to you!!! :beerbang:
[post="85569"][/post]​

As i said - I don't begrudge anyone a margin - but when something is offered up as a bulk buy, it is inferred (IMO) that you are getting a better deal than going alone. To pay 50% more for the item delivered to my door as part of a bulk buy, just seems a little off - well to me anyway.

This is not an attack on GMK, who i consider a good friend. I have done many deals with him & hope to do many more.... :beer:

I agree Ross - and taht is the spirit taht it was conducted in.

the price quoted was 43.00 US plus 18.00US for air Freight = 61.00US.
So i got it down with a bulk buy of 10 - discount on the items and Air Freight was 70.00 USD with insurance.
I did not get a good exchange rate with paypal - they dropped it by 2+ cents - probably their fees.
so - my start of price was higher tahn yours - so i missed the cheaper supplier -

Dam.
I went with the same guys i did the last bulk buy of refractometers thru as i know they deliver and they were the cheapest last time.

I know you are not having a go - but it is listed here on the good faith so taht there will not be any questions.

Hope this helps...

Edit: Just added the Air Freight.

Ken, can you please reply to my PM. I would like to pay you before SWMBO sees my extra funds & spends the money herself :)

Having used both types, I can tell you the scale on the one that Ken purchased is much easier to read than the one Ross purchased. To my eyes anyway. Maybe this explains the higher US$ price.

Steve

SteveSA said:
Having used both types, I can tell you the scale on the one that Ken purchased is much easier to read than the one Ross purchased. To my eyes anyway. Maybe this explains the higher US$ price.

Steve
[post="85616"][/post]​

I think the one Ross bought has a white background? The original bulk buy (at least the Batz one, think it was the original) was a model with a blue background, which does seem a lot easier to read.

Guest Lurker said:
I think the one Ross bought has a white background? The original bulk buy (at least the Batz one, think it was the original) was a model with a blue background, which does seem a lot easier to read.
[post="85618"][/post]​
You've got it spot on GL.

SteveSA said:

Steve
[post="85616"][/post]​

Fair enough - so what model is the one Kenny's supplying - mine shows a split line, one side blue & one side clear - even with my poor eyesight, it's crystal clear...

The one scale on the original bulk buy and the one Ken's supplying look like this
113_scale.jpg

And yours looks like this
fe_1.jpg

Personal choice of course but the first one is clearer to my eyes

As for the exact model? Can't remember the model no. Ken can answer that or the original bulk buy thread will have it.

(I hope these pics work) Edit: Bugger! Will try again!

Anyone in sydney metro area keen to grab one.?
i'll do an ebay purchase and save some postage costs with another if there is any takers B)
let me know......

SteveSA said:
The one scale on the original bulk buy and the one Ken's supplying look like this
View attachment 4538

View attachment 4539

As for the exact model? Can't remember the model no. Ken can answer that or the original bulk buy thread will have it.

[post="85625"][/post]​

Yep, I have looked through both. The first one is soooo much easier to read. Pity i have the one with the small scale. Sure both the job just as well

Ross said:

cheers Ross
[post="85567"][/post]​

I agree 100%.

I've done both. I've sold bit's and pieces of brew gear for profit and when I did, I just gave a price. If the person liked the price they bought it. I never represented it as anything other than a deal between two individuals. 80% of the time I sold this gear on Ebay. I don't bother doing this anymore as it was a lot of work for very little return.

I've also arranged bulk buys, which I think are completely different. A bulk buy, as Ross said, implies that if we as a AHB collective group together, we will all benefit from getting a lower price. It implies working for the common good of a group of people. If you're making a mark-up on the sale of these bulk goods, you should declare it and it should then go into the trading section.

Ken, you can't blame people for being a bit suss about some of the delas you put together. For example why are you arranging bulk buys of refractometers when you already have one?

The Ventmatic bulk buy was another example that raised some questions.
GMK said:
Ventmatic tap without Snaplock collar and shank is 62.50.

This was supposedly for a special price if the order was for 50+ units. Now I was able to buy a Ventmatic tap + black plastic handle + SS shank and nipple + airmail from the US for ...... $75AUS! If I wanted just the tap, with airmail, it would of cost about $50AUS, that's a big difference to your price.

Don't take this personally Ken, it's just that you put yourself right out there so you are the most obvious. If you're going to publicly make deals, then you have to expect that people will publicly question these deals. What are people supposed to think when in an article for a local paper you were quoted as "Ken says home brewing is serious business thats beginning to become a lucrative business too"? Finally it doesn't help when you call yourself GMKenterprises.

It's fine to make a few dollars, but just fess up if that's what you're doing.

I know it will be hard to police, but I suggest to the moderators that they restrict the bulk buys organised on this forum to those that are for the good of all and not pseudo commercial ventures.

Cheers
MAH

Darren said:
SteveSA said:
View attachment 4538

View attachment 4539

[post="85625"][/post]​

Yep, I have looked through both. The first one is soooo much easier to read. Pity i have the one with the small scale. Sure both the job just as well
[post="85637"][/post]​

These pics are not truely correct & are misleading. The blue screen is zoomed in & the model I have is blue as well - I guess he has just posted a black & white pic. I bought exactly the same one as Batz bulk buy (so I'm informed) - The screen is blue, but it also has the fine increments of the clear picture you show. That is, each unit measurement split into 5 x 0.2 divisions, whereas the one you are showing in blue goes in steps of 5 units with 1.0 unit divisions. If this is indeed the one you got, it is nowhere near as clear as mine. So with due respect I don't understand how you came to your conclusions, as you say you've tested both...??

OK - i understand where u guys are coming from...

Just to put the record straight... Rant On...

Ventmatic Bulk buy was done thru the Aus Distributor - not from US.
Reasons were:
Difference in price was not substantional enough to warrant going thru US - eg Longer time for freight, payment issues eg Paypal or credit card, also woudl have attracted GST and Duty on the 4000.00 order.
Alot more hassle.
The Aus supplier had them in stock ready to go - everyone wanted them NOW they did not want to wait.
As far as i know everyone was/is happy. If not PM me and we can work it out.

Fessing up - rounded the price up to the nearest whole Dollar and i made no bones about the extra tap handles i received - which i am no longer using or need - so happy to supply some out if anyone wants one or 2.

The latest refractometer buy.
Some of the BBC Club members wanted one - no one wanted to organise it and i was asked to - it was NOT a bulk buy for AHBers - i offered up the extra up on AHB only - as in ordering 10 i got a better deal for the BBC guys.
Also, as the person who started the club - i looked on it as my duty to help the Club guys out - so I did.

Fessing up - i rounded up to the nearest 5.00 ie 63.85 upto 65.00 because of all the Head Fu4k i had to go thru with paypal etc etc .

I know i put myself out there - but i also bought thru a known supplier, got air freight and insurance - otherwised I risked the 638.50 loss..

But if there are any problems with bulk buys in future - ask up front or just dont participate.

Rant Off.

So Kenny,

As per my original question, before this started going off on all diferent tangents - What model refractometer is it you are buying please?

Cheers Ross

Ross said:
Darren said:
SteveSA said:
View attachment 4538

View attachment 4539

[post="85625"][/post]​

[post="85637"][/post]​

These pics are not truely correct & are misleading. The blue screen is zoomed in & the model I have is blue as well - I guess he has just posted a black & white pic. I bought exactly the same one as Batz bulk buy (so I'm informed) - The screen is blue, but it also has the fine increments of the clear picture you show. That is, each unit measurement split into 5 x 0.2 divisions, whereas the one you are showing in blue goes in steps of 5 units with 1.0 unit divisions. If this is indeed the one you got, it is nowhere near as clear as mine. So with due respect I don't understand how you came to your conclusions, as you say you've tested both...??
[post="85648"][/post]​

I have looked through both 5 seconds apart. I know the one steve posted first looks very different to the one posted second. The numbers are about 5 times bigger in the first shot. In actual fact I think that the two pictures represent a good indication of the clarity of the scales between the models. If you have the second model you will be suprised how clear the scale in the first one really is when you compare the two.

Is this more what yours looks like Ross?

Attachments

• fe_1.jpg
    fe_1.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 18
Back