Refractometers On Ebay

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballantynebrew

Reaction score
Hello fellow hebrewers
I've had a few brews that did not measure right, so instead of going to get another hydrometer, id invest a little tech. Any things to avoid?
Cheers

mine works just check it with water every time as the temperature of the unit must play with the readings some times it reads 0 with water some times I have to re adjust it. But againts the hydrometer and online calculations its right once calibrated. Also get one with brix as I have yet to find a fermenting beer caclulator that uses SG instead of brix for the refractometer reading. Or you can just convert it but then you need another calculator but I find this a little more acurate anyway if you really want to get down to exact numbers lol

I got one with ATC automatic temperature correction! seems to work for me

dont need a temp correction. Run the sample under water for a few secs (its only 3 drops you need) put it on the glass and it will be close enough to the temp. But since this is in a K&K section I dont think boiling temperature will be a issue here.

Get the one with the lower scale, most are made for winemaking with much higher sugar levels, the lower scaled version is better for wort measurement. Unless you plan on making a ton of barley wine.

Example

If you don't brew high OG beers >1.070 then 0-18 Brix is the way to go, you can get one for half the price of the one in Example.

Need a correction formula to calculate SG once fermentation has commenced.

Unlike hydrometers they are harder to break.

Back