Refractometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamstringsally

Reaction score
how long after putting hot wort on the refractometer should you wait till you take your reading? i notice the longer on there the more it goes up. is there a set time that you do?

cheers

It would be because it is calibrated for a certain temp, find out what your refrac is calibrated to and then go from there. Once you know what it's calibrated to, just wait until it's at that temp.

The one I have has an "ATC Compensation Range" (i.e. Built-in Automatic Temperature Compensation System) from 10 C to 30 C. Its just a $30 ebay one, so I assume its pretty standard.

What I do is take the sample from the wort and put it upside down (bulb down) in a glass of cool tap water. After about 2-5min its cool to the touch and I apply to the refrac.

Hope that helps.

The one I have has an "ATC Compensation Range" (i.e. Built-in Automatic Temperature Compensation System) from 10 C to 30 C. Its just a $30 ebay one, so I assume its pretty standard.

What I do is take the sample from the wort and put it upside down (bulb down) in a glass of cool tap water. After about 2-5min its cool to the touch and I apply to the refrac.

Hope that helps.

That is brilliant. I always just cooled on the glass but it concerns me that the large surface area is promoting evaporation. Your solution is awesome.

You need to look at a Refractometer as a tool not an instrument

K

I understand the drop cools off so fast anyway that it makes no diff. Apply the drop and wait a couple secs. Has anyone actually run a side-by-side comparison?

The cooling on the surface is happening due to evaporation. That is the point, it is a minute qty of wort and evaporation of water out of it leaves behind a denser fluid.
I shut the lid on to the lens without letting it cool and leave it be a little. No surface area - no evap cooling loss. Slower cooling and the refractometer is tied up. Acasta's solution is better.

@ Dr K, I apologise but I don't understand what you are getting at. I'd be obliged if you explained.

Hope that helps.

thats gold mate. will do that from now on

cheers

The cooling on the surface is happening due to evaporation. That is the point, it is a minute qty of wort and evaporation of water out of it leaves behind a denser fluid.
I shut the lid on to the lens without letting it cool and leave it be a little. No surface area - no evap cooling loss. Slower cooling and the refractometer is tied up. Acasta's solution is better.

@ Dr K, I apologise but I don't understand what you are getting at. I'd be obliged if you explained.

Good try but not so......heat would be lost more due to contact on the colder surface it contacts. It will not evaporate at such a huge rate that it will cause such a considerable loss in mass. I know we are all perfectionists but.......................

Back