Refractometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stowaway

Reaction score
Am I using my refractometer correctly?

Original gravity is fine. its about 9 brix (from memory) so that converts to 1054 approx

but SG always seems to be around 6 or 5.5 Never goes lower which equals around 1024.

even when my hydrometer measures 1010.

Something is clearly not right with your measurements. Have you Zero'd your refractometer with water?

Your OG of 9 brix = 1.035

To get accurate gravity readings once fermentation has started you need to do some calcs to take into account the refraction of alcohol present.
Luckily theres a few easy ways to do this.

I have been using the morebeer spredsheet.

http://morebeer.com/public/beer/refractbeer.xls

Something is clearly not right with your measurements. Have you Zero'd your refractometer with water?

Your OG of 9 brix = 1.035

Im at work and just remembering. I remembered my OG was equal to about 1055. so it must have been 14 or something.

i have put water on the refractormeter and it goes to exactly 0. so that seems to be right.

Yeah,

Final gravity is tricky. Because the alcahol distorts the light too, you need to use some fancy formula to work it out.

I use beersmith. I love beersmith.

First off, 9 brix gives og of 1.035, which sounds low, but assuming it's right
A reading of 5.5 brix on the fermented wort then gives a FG of 1.014, ABV 2.8%, Apparent Attenuation 60.6%. So it sounds like it's not finished.

If the OG was really 1.054 and a reading of the fermented wort is 5.5 brix then
the FG is 1.002, ABV 6.7%, Apparent Attenuation 95.6 which also definately looks wrong

thanks Ive got beer smith now. it make things alot easier :)

Latest posts

Back