Refractometer v hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proffs

Reaction score
So, I put down my 4th brew today and broke my 2nd hydrometer. I'm thinking a cheap refractometer off eBay might be a good idea. Do they both do as good a job as one another?

If you calibrate it now and then, yes.

You also don't waste 100ml of beer every time you take a reading.

SG yes but if you are using it for OG or any other gravity tests along fermentation you have to take in consideration the alcohol content (which will skew the refractometer reading)

tricache said:
SG yes but if you are using it for OG or any other gravity tests along fermentation you have to take in consideration the alcohol content (which will skew the refractometer reading)
Which is easily calculated in almost all brewing software, free or paid.
There's even an excel file floating around that does the calculations for you.

I haven't used my hydrometer for almost a year.

Get one that's got a SG scale as well as the Brix one. Refractometers are plentiful as they are used in industry and agriculture ( murder a pineapple in the paddock and do a test with your refrac .... they read the brix and woot, commence picking guys) but now they are becoming more popular with home brewers you can get them with the Specific Gravity scale as well which is much more convenient.

OK, so I broke another hydrometer on my last brewday about a week ago.

I've bought a refractometer, and calibrated it. 8 days into fermentation it gives me a reading of 1.020 SG. There's no way the beer is still that high, as I reckon it looked to be at FG about 4 days in. I brewed an Alt and pitched a cultured up fresh vial of WL Kolsch yeast.

I can't make head or tail out of the BeerSmith refractometer tool. It just doesn't make sense to me (yes, I know, little else in life does too). Every time I put in a reading it comes up with silly figures such as FG 1.360 etc. Go figure.

So, today I went and bought another hydrometer. Plan is to use the refractometer on brewday, when there's no alcohol in the sample to skew the result, and the hydrometer only to check on FG prior to bottling. Maybe that way the hydrometer will last longer than the usual 3 to 4 months.

Bribie G said:
Get one that's got a SG scale as well as the Brix one. Refractometers are plentiful as they are used in industry and agriculture ( murder a pineapple in the paddock and do a test with your refrac .... they read the brix and woot, commence picking guys) but now they are becoming more popular with home brewers you can get them with the Specific Gravity scale as well which is much more convenient.
It's not often I disagree with Bribie G but don't get one with an SG scale, waste of time.

Once you start fermenting a wort then needs a calculation, plenty around.

I don't brew high alc beers so I have a 0- 18 Brix one.

warra48 said:
OK, so I broke another hydrometer on my last brewday about a week ago.

I've bought a refractometer, and calibrated it. 8 days into fermentation it gives me a reading of 1.020 SG. There's no way the beer is still that high, as I reckon it looked to be at FG about 4 days in. I brewed an Alt and pitched a cultured up fresh vial of WL Kolsch yeast.

I can't make head or tail out of the BeerSmith refractometer tool. It just doesn't make sense to me (yes, I know, little else in life does too). Every time I put in a reading it comes up with silly figures such as FG 1.360 etc. Go figure.

So, today I went and bought another hydrometer. Plan is to use the refractometer on brewday, when there's no alcohol in the sample to skew the result, and the hydrometer only to check on FG prior to bottling. Maybe that way the hydrometer will last longer than the usual 3 to 4 months.
Your doing it wrong. I use brew calc on my iphone. Havent touched my hydro in almost a year now.

Why can't you be more like Truman, Warra? Start doing things properly, ffs.

Thanks for the responses, gents.
Also received a PM from another member.
Problem now solved.

I've had some issues like BribieG where the refractometer is inconsistent. It is calibrated (as best I can do so) and achieves consistent and accurate results pre-fermentation, but as soon as I start pulling samples post fermentation and comparing them with the hydrometer (even if I pull the refrac sample from the hydro sample cylinder), things start to get frustrating. I have a lager on at the moment that the hydro insists is 1.012. The refract told me 1.006, but then it also told me 1.016. I'm leaning towards the yeast and hop debri causing the inconsistencies, as these don't affect the hydro all that much.

What I now do is take a hydro sample only where I'm sus about the refractometer reading and only post ferment. Still love the refrac though!

Back