Refractometer: Screw Driver vs Direct Twist Calibration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Matt

Reaction score
Haven't seen a topic on this yet. Just wondering if anyone can offer feedback on the Direct Twist Calibration refractometer model? (Pictured below).

$T2eC16JHJHgE9n0yEYlOBQ86y2iwEw~~60_3.JPG

It is being marketed as an updated version of the model that requires a screw driver to calibrate. Is this 'new & improved' model better? I see it only costs a couple of dollars more.

The twisting, as I understand it, is just for focus, it has no effect on the reading.

I think he means the calibration knob (the knurled rather than slotted roundy thingo on the top), not the focus.

Being able to calibrate the unit without the need of a screwdriver, if I am understanding the description correctly.

More importantly, sg readings are bull dust on a refrac. IMHO it's better to not have it and then you start talking about your 11 degree wort, just like the pros ;)

The most important feature is how easy it is to avoid water ingress

You only really need to calibrate your refrac once and that's it for years to come, so it's completely irrelevant if you use a knob or a screw driver.

Unless you don't own screw driver which automatically makes you a knob and therefore qualifies you for a knob refrac.

Florian said:
You only really need to calibrate your refrac once and that's it for years to come, so it's completely irrelevant if you use a knob or a screw driver.

Unless you don't own screw driver which automatically makes you a knob and therefore qualifies you for a knob refrac.
:icon_offtopic: LMAO... that cheered my morning up :p

I'd be getting one with a screw, otherwise everytime you grab the refrac out of it's case you will be bumping that stupid knob and stuffing up the calibration. Also that one seems short and stumpy and could be awkward to hold, I would go for the conventional length unless you have little Chinese hands and penis.

This one comes with spare pippets and has the dual scale
or
This one only has the Brix scale which I find easier to read, then you can easily calc the OG from it. (for normal strength beers just times brix by 4)

Both come with a screwdriver. :p

Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes new & improved isn't always the better choice.

Back