Refractometer Correcting In Beertools Pro

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkmeldrum

Reaction score
Hi all

I used to use BeerSmith tools to correct FG readings from a refractometer but now I use Beer Tools Pro and I'm having a few troubles.

I've just finished a brew that had OG as 1.050 and final gravity reading (uncorrected) of 1.021.

In the Calculators under Window menu, there is a S.G. tab that I assume is for correcting SG readings but I can't seem to understand how it is working, or which bits I'm supposed to enter values for.

I'm currently entering the original gravity and final gravity fields with my readings - assuming that the Original Brix and Terminal Brix fields should update with a converted value from the data I've inputted.

I assumed that the Wort Calibration field would then update with a corrected value for my final gravity so that I could work out my alcohol concentration but it hasn't worked.

I get the following:

Wort calibration: 1.050 (BTP puts this in and it keeps coming back after I clear it)

Original Brix: 0.0

Original Gravity: 1.050sg

Terminal Brix: NAN(000).0

Terminal Gravity: 1.021sg

If anyone has any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong I would love to hear from you..

Cheers

Molly

I haven't used BeerTools Pro Molly, but you may have to put in the original gravity reading from a refrac as well as the hydro, just a guess?

Hi all

I used to use BeerSmith tools to correct FG readings from a refractometer but now I use Beer Tools Pro and I'm having a few troubles.

I've just finished a brew that had OG as 1.050 and final gravity reading (uncorrected) of 1.021.

In the Calculators under Window menu, there is a S.G. tab that I assume is for correcting SG readings but I can't seem to understand how it is working, or which bits I'm supposed to enter values for.

I'm currently entering the original gravity and final gravity fields with my readings - assuming that the Original Brix and Terminal Brix fields should update with a converted value from the data I've inputted.

I assumed that the Wort Calibration field would then update with a corrected value for my final gravity so that I could work out my alcohol concentration but it hasn't worked.

I get the following:

Wort calibration: 1.050 (BTP puts this in and it keeps coming back after I clear it)

Original Brix: 0.0

Original Gravity: 1.050sg

Terminal Brix: NAN(000).0

Terminal Gravity: 1.021sg

If anyone has any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong I would love to hear from you..

Cheers

Molly

I use beer tools pro Molly but I don't use a refractometer. I use a hydrometer & simply fill in my hydrometer calibration ( 20deg )
Actual sample temp & measured gravity. Corrected gravity is then given.
Do you have a particular preference for the refractometer?

I haven't used BeerTools Pro Molly, but you may have to put in the original gravity reading from a refrac as well as the hydro, just a guess?
Beer Tools Pro has a calculator which does a number of different conversions etc......within the SG tab, you have to choose either hydrometer or refractometer, so I don't think that is it unfortunately.

Cheers

Molly

I use beer tools pro Molly but I don't use a refractometer. I use a hydrometer & simply fill in my hydrometer calibration ( 20deg )
Actual sample temp & measured gravity. Corrected gravity is then given.
Do you have a particular preference for the refractometer?
Thanks Crusty,

yeah I do prefer the refractometer to the hydrometer because I only need to take a few drops out to take a measurement and because it's only a few drops the temperature thing is really irrelevant as they cool down very quickly to room temp.

I also prefer the refractometer over the hydrometer as I've managed to crack about 3 hydrometers and the refractometer is much more robust.

Cheers

Molly

Hi Molly,

I had issues with my refractometer in general. But all's good now. I'm also using BeerTools Pro.. this is very helpful:

Wort Calibration

Measurements of the specific gravity of wort using a refractometer will not agree with the measurements of gravity using a hydrometer. Brix refractometers are meant to measure the percentage of sugar in a pure sucrose solution.

Since wort is not simply sugar and water, you need to make a small correction because of the non-sugar components of the wort. The correction factor is different for different breweries. Beers that are very dark or have a very high starting gravity may also require a different correction factor. To calculate your correction value, measure the specific gravity with your refractometer. Then chill a sample of your wort and measure the gravity with a hydrometer. Convert the hydrometer reading to Brix using the equation: Brix = (SG-1)/0.004. Then divide the reading of the refractometer by your actual hydrometer reading. You should have a number between 1.02 and 1.06. If you do this for several worts and average them, you will get a number that you can use for your brewery.

My Beertools Pro defaulted to 1.04 as well. If you're still following this thread, change the Wort Calibration to 1.04. See attached Pic.

cheers,
Kieran

Beertools_Pro_Wort_Calib.jpg

Back