Refractometer % Alc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasChris

Lurking
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just a quick question to clear my mind.
To calc % Alc using a refractometer and using promash to crunch the numbers is it correct that I need to get a brix reading and a hydrometer reading of the FG??
Chris

TasChris said:
Hi all,
To calc % Alc using a refractometer and using promash to crunch the numbers is it correct that I need to get a brix reading and a hydrometer reading of the FG??
Chris
[post="55501"][/post]​

Chris

The OG and FG can be done with the refractometer. There are sections in there that correct the FG for the alcohol and remaining sugars.

Cheers
Pedro

My promash skills require some polishing.
I read some of the previous posts on this topic but still struggling to get values that make sense from promash

Gulf Brewery said:
TasChris said:
Hi all,
Chris
[post="55501"][/post]​

Chris

The OG and FG can be done with the refractometer. There are sections in there that correct the FG for the alcohol and remaining sugars.

Cheers
Pedro
[post="55512"][/post]​

Bit lost too Pedro, :huh:

This is the refractometer overview on ProMash;

3) Determining % Alcohol, Residual Extract and OG after fermentation. After fermentation, a brewer can calculate the amount of Alcohol present in the beer, the residual extract and also backtrack to the Original Gravity. These calculations can be more accurate than simple determination based on Original and Final gravities. However, the brewer will need both a refractometer reading and an hydrometer reading of the sample beer for this calculation. Note that this calculator can also be useful in backtracking your Original Gravity if for some reason it is unknown to you.

Help generated by SOS Help! Info-Author

Warren -

Easy to do

Go to the Fermentation tab
In the FG section, select the refractometer symbol
Enter you reading and it automatically calculates everything else for you.

And if you want the Promash help version

Refractometer

Launches the Refractometer Raw Wort Gravity Calculator for determining the recorded OG or the Refractometer Gravity During Fermentation Calculator for determining the recorded FG.

Additionally you can use the refractometer button by the %Alc entry to launch the Refractometer %Alc, OG and Residual Extract Calculator to more accurately determine the % Alcohol levels in the finished beer.

NOTE: Note that when a brewing session is initially created, the numbers generated by the OG/FG method and the Refractometer method will be identical. In fact, if the "By Refrac" option is selected, scrolling the FG or OG numbers will affect the numbers as if the OG/FG were being used in the refractometer calculation. This is because ProMash will backtrack the OG/FG numbers into the refractometer settings, UNTIL the user actually makes an entry in the %Alc refractometer dialog. Once an entry is made, the values are locked until changed by the user, and independent of other numbers and calculations.

Cheers
Pedro

Thanks Pedro,
I have just got a refractometer thanks to drinking, chatting and having my credit card too close to me while on the computer!!
I think I need to have a play with it over the course of a couple of batches, pluging the values into Promash as the ferment goes along.
Damn AHB chat and Ebay!!!
Chris

I've just got a refracto too, been reading up quite a bit.

What I understand is that the refracto is pretty much bang on for everything before fermentation has started, however once there is alcohol in the mix you start to rely on some quite complex formulae, including some fairly intricate correction factors for your own equipment, which you can't really calculate without a highly accurate hydrometer.

So unless you own a good narrow-range hydro and calibrate your correction factors precisely, your refracto will be quite inaccurate in predicting alcohol and backtracking to OG will probably be way off.

Personally I'd rather use a hydro once everything has cooled, but the refracto will be a huge timesaver on brewday.

I haven't brewed with it yet, so this is all theory based on many hours searching the net and reading old HBD and Promash discussions...

YMMV etc.

Wortgames said:
I've just got a refracto too, been reading up quite a bit.

What I understand is that the refracto is pretty much bang on for everything before fermentation has started, however once there is alcohol in the mix you start to rely on some quite complex formulae, including some fairly intricate correction factors for your own equipment, which you can't really calculate without a highly accurate hydrometer.

So unless you own a good narrow-range hydro and calibrate your correction factors precisely, your refracto will be quite inaccurate in predicting alcohol and backtracking to OG will probably be way off.

Personally I'd rather use a hydro once everything has cooled, but the refracto will be a huge timesaver on brewday.

I haven't brewed with it yet, so this is all theory based on many hours searching the net and reading old HBD and Promash discussions...

YMMV etc.
[post="55626"][/post]​

Spot on Wortgames :super:

Ross

That seems about the right price. I bought 6 or 7 of these from him as a bulk buy for Adelaide brewers from this company a few years ago. If you get a few more to go into a bulk deal, it drops the postage cost per unit down dramatically.

Cheers
Pedro

Yeah Ross
Normell would just love another gadjet :blink:

So I'll be in if ordering a few

Normell

JGriffin,

I've emailed them for a Fedex rate for between 2 & 4 units.

Anyone interested please email me...

Ross

If you get enought (more than 5 or so), ask for a cheaper rate on the units. I think he gave us $2 per unit which I put towards a better shipping option.

Cheers
Pedro

One way or the other I will be getting one soon, If it helps with numbers count me in except I'm in Perth

Ausdb

I just looked into refractometers a couple of weeks ago. I ended up getting a secondhand one off eBay, but here are some links I found along the way - worth checking out the others before making a decision:

eBay sellers:

http://stores.ebay.com/National-Industrial...ine-Beer-Making

http://stores.ebay.com/OPTICAL-INSTRUMENTS_Refractometer

http://stores.ebay.com/INSTRUMENTS-DEPOT_B...E-refractometer

Valley Vintner in the US have what looks like a good quality one:

http://valleyvintner.com/Merchant2/merchan...ategory_Code=RE

Here is some blurb they've put up about the different models:

http://valleyvintner.com/Merchant2/DataShe...rac_Compare.htm

Whether you believe their rave about their own model is up to you, but I like the way it at least shows they support their product.

I would probably have got the VV one if I hadn't got the secondhand one. However, they quoted me US$24 postage which is about US$10 more than most of the others. I suspect though that they are working off an estimate, so with a bit of discussion and especially a bulk buy they might be able to do a more reasonable price.

They seem a bit less 'cut-throat' than some of the eBay guys and the product looks good.

Oh BTW, I came to the conclusion that the 'Alcohol' scale is not much use for brewers, so it's probably best to just get the 0-32% model rather than the 0-40% with alcohol scale - the smaller range will give you better readings.

Guys,

please take a read & let me know which you think looks best - any input from those that already own one, would be most appreciated...

Back