Reflecting on my first proper brewday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nizmoose

Reaction score
Hi guys so today was the first time I made a batch with spec grains and hops and at the same time was the first day I've done by myself. At the start I wasnt phased and steeping was easy. I only started sweating when doing the (very short) hop boil and then trying to juggle dissolving things in the fermenter and pouring the boil in etc, etc. Also had massive trouble bringing the temp down to pitch the US05 yeast. Heres what my recipe looked like:

-1 x Coopers Aus. Pale Ale tin
-200g Crystal Malt
-500g LDME
-350g Dex
-US05 Yeast
-20g Cascade @ 5mins

I made up 3L of 70 degree water and steeped the cracked grain for 30 minutes
Added some LDME to make approx 1040 SG and then brought to a boil
Added my 20g of hops for five minutes then turned off the heat
Dissolved my tin and dex as well as some more LDME in the fermenter using boiling water
Topped up with cool tap water
Sterilised everything religiously except the water that was cool was tap water not bottled or pre boiled

My problems started arising when I had to pitch the yeast. The 21L of wort was 31 degrees and so I put the fermenter in a water bath to try and bring the temp down and it took forever, like 2 hours before I pitched at 1 degree higher than recommended, I know I shouldn't have but I was stressing about leaving the wort unsealed any longer.

The other thing that got to me was the smell of the hops! I know many people love the smell but I couldnt stand it! I am still feeling a bit green thinking about it haha. I also dont think I added all my LDME :/ I got distracted adding my boil and forgot the last 100g hopefully it doesnt hurt it too much.

Overall I'm happy enough with how it all went but time will tell. My OG reading was a touch under 1.040 (maybe 1.038?) just after pitching. I know thats a bit low but I'm hoping it'll be fine :) any suggestions or comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Things I would change for next time is to make sure I have ingredients measured out well before having to add them and also having pre-boiled ice ready to cool my wort faster.

Sounds like you already know what to do next time. I don't really have any partial experience so can't add much.

I hope you get the results you're after!

I don't see how you can't like the hop smell, I love it.

Thanks, haha yeah I like the smell it was more the intensity of it. Every time I was over the open fermenter I was not having fun. It was only 20g as well :p I think I will either get used to it or die if I ever use more haha

I always have about 3-4 litres of water in the fridge overnight prior to brewday. I fill the FV to about 18 litres & check the temp of the wort. If it needs cooling that is when I top it up with the refrigerated water. This helps with bringing the temp down to pitch the yeast sooner.

Otherwise your procedure seems to be pretty good.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you. I love the aroma from brewing, hops & all.

Greg

gTrain said:
I always have about 3-4 litres of water in the fridge overnight prior to brewday. I fill the FV to about 18 litres & check the temp of the wort. If it needs cooling that is when I top it up with the refrigerated water. This helps with bringing the temp down to pitch the yeast sooner.

Otherwise your procedure seems to be pretty good.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you. I love the aroma from brewing, hops & all.

Greg
Bottles is a good idea :)

Haha don't worry I don't think there's many people here that don't like the smell :)

we all learn from our mistakes,and i wouldn't be the first to admit to it.sometimes the aroma of hops will overpower.long as your keep the ferment temp about 20 you should be ok..ice can be used also to cool..fill to 19 litre then check temp..

Sounds like it went OK and I'm sure you will have made good beer! You'll notice the hop flavour and aroma will lessen over time and probably after fermentation so you may find it rather nice, cascade is a good hop, your beer might taste a little like snpa perhaps.

Next brew things will seem easier and will go smoother I'm sure. I posted a similar brew just the other day and took some pics- a pale ale with citra and Amarillo. Check it if it helps and also let us know how it turns out mate

Nizmoose, I cool my wort when I have finished my boil . In the pot into the laundry sink , change the water a couple of times even add abit of ice to it.
Then pour into your fermenter and add the remaining water. Have 3-4 litres of water on standby that you have cooled if you need to add to the fermenter.
I have been doing it this way now for some time and works for me.
Darren.

When cooling either the pot or fermenter with water bath, you can cover it with glad wrap. If doing the pot, don't try and cover immediately after the boil though as the steam will likely pop a hole in the plastic.
Also just to check - in between steeping and adding the dme, did you remove the grains?

One more thing - nothing wrong with boiling up the last bit of dme and adding gently to the fermenter.

Thanks for all the advice guys will have a look pat :) and yeah removed the grains after steeping before turning on the heat for the hop boil :) does anyone think my lack of 100g ldme is going to make much difference? Also Yeah I didn't even think to cool the wort in the pot first!

nah 100g of DME plus or minus will be fine, I think most people would be pretty hard pressed to taste that in a 21L batch mate. it may account for a tiny bit of why yours came out a point lower but wouldn't have made up the 2 points between 1038 and 1040 but as manticle said you can still add it in if you really want to. personally I would just leave it and next time you can adjust the malt, hops, yeast, etc. based on how this one tastes.

Yeah I'll leave it :) I'm happy enough with the gravity and its down to a nice 18 degrees now too and as I type this I hear bubbling from airlock! :D

Thanks for all the advice guys will have a look pat :) and yeah removed the grains after steeping before turning on the heat for the hop boil :) does anyone think my lack of 100g ldme is going to make much difference? Also Yeah I didn't even think to cool the wort in the pot first!
Not a lot of difference - up to you whether you want to add it or not. My point above was mainly for info - if you forget a fermentable or ingredient when mixing, don't think you've missed your chance. Just be sanitary and gentle with your additions.

Latest posts

Back