RedX smash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Brewer

Reaction score
Hi there help please tomorrow i want to do a
RedX smash
i have 4kg of redx
i do have Ella / citra / fuggles / Chinook / Dr.Rudi NZ / northern brewer /
witch one should i use and when

mash in 15lt water at 65 for 75mins
and sparge 13lt at 75c
boil 60mins or 90min ?

in a 20lt Braumeister

thanks

If no chilling, Citra.... Single cube hop addition.

Depends what kind of beer you want to make though, could do all fuggles- bittering and a flavour addition.. Red X is nice and malty.

i like an ale
and i can chill or not
and i have Nottingham or us05
thanks

In that case I'd personally go with Citra cube hop only addition, use whatever software you use to calc to 35(ish) IBU (assuming 20 min steep time.

US05

hopefully this will work ill try tomorrow
hops to cube no chill

[SIZE=13pt]4.00 kg .BestMälz RedX (30.0 EBC)[/SIZE][SIZE=13pt] Grain 100.0 %[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13pt]Citra [12.00 %] - To No Chill Cube 100.00 g Hop 34.0 IBUs[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13pt]1.0 pkg[/SIZE][SIZE=13pt] Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast[/SIZE]

any last min thoughts brewing 12:30pm starting the brew

Very keen to hear how this turns out (specifically the cube hopping), been wanting to try RedX for a while & love Citra in a SMaSH.

[SIZE=10pt]Ok all said and done[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]RedX[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Note only had 50gm of citra [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]4.00 kg. RedX (30.0 EBC) Grain 100.0 %[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Citra [12.00 %] - To No Chill Cube 50.00 g Hop 34.0 IBUs[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=10pt]pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeas[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Yeast starter made from same wort was 1040 is it ok to do it this way and yes i cooled it lol[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]===[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Ok all went well [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Before boil 1037 and after boil 1043 and in to fermenter 1042 ?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]See chill cube i turned over to kill anyone in there[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]You can see the air bubble still in cube I could not remove it Will this be a problem??[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]I think for peace of mind chilling might be better i will chill the next one and then add yeast straight to fridge [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]So happy my Baby’s are fighting fit bubbling like hell so all good three hours later [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Now to wait 10 days and do a reading not sure to dry hope or not if so what go’s with citra [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Thanks [/SIZE]

1 Keged Night Before.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg

Soda stream for instant carbonation- brilliance! :icon_chickcheers:

Looks to have come out a bit darker than I would have expected.

looked a darker red than i thought but ill have to wait its killing me but only have 9 days to go lol

Droopy Brew said:
Soda stream for instant carbonation- brilliance! :icon_chickcheers:

Looks to have come out a bit darker than I would have expected.
I have made a couple of RedX brews now. It does look dark, a dark rusty colour.

The best way to make it look more red is to filter it......I know that will upset some by just saying it, but if you genuinely want red, then it needs to be fairly clear. Light refraction works like that.

BTW, I did a single hop IPA with one RedX batch. All azacca. Good enough for a fishing trip with the boys!! Good enough for most thongs, in fact.

Enjoy. Anthony

should i dry hop this or not after 4 days
and i will crash and filter as well

20170608_155743.jpg
20170609_135050.jpg
20170609_135327.jpg
20170609_143133.jpg
20170609_143149.jpg
ok all done and the REDX came out yum the only thing for me a bit bitter i would not cub hop again.
i did not filter as i wanted to see what is is like with out the tricks
i am going do do another this weekend and be a bit more keen to only run clear wort this time
sorry if photos to big yeast cake looked good so kept it ..
and what a find from the op shop little yeast bottles 5bucks the lot never seen any like this before

Back