Redundancies from work, anyone else seeing it in your industry?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe how golden some of the handshakes still are! We get 1 weeks pay for each year of service, capped at 13 weeks.

Golden handshakes. My employer is more the golden shower type.

We just need some rain to grow the Grain to make some more beer and ease the pain!

I would have said German myself, fingers in Dikes is more Dutch than golden showers.

More redundancies coming. With the government signing the free trade agreement with China, Chinese companies with projects of $1 billion can bring their own worker's from China without the obligation to pay Australian wages and conditions. With in days of signing the agreement John Holland pty ltd was taken over by China.
This is just the beginning

Before i took on the position were i am currently empliyed thay could not fill the role: SW in mental health (with added complexities). Poor pay heaps of stress and no thanks, but great rewards!
Whilst there are redundancies there are also opportunities, albeit for lower pay then afforded in the traditional expected. There are opportunities but there are also sacrifices along with an understanding that this government is not going to look after the worker.

KevinR said:
More redundancies coming. With the government signing the free trade agreement with China, Chinese companies with projects of $1 billion can bring their own worker's from China without the obligation to pay Australian wages and conditions. With in days of signing the agreement John Holland pty ltd was taken over by China.
This is just the beginning
I think the threshold is $150 million http://aftinet.org.au/cms/node/977
Tony's tradies might not be so happy soon.

slcmorro said:
Yep - A round has just gone through McCain Foods, where I work. A bloke of 37 years was tapped on the shoulder and asked to leave. He gets 111 weeks of payout, plus all his AL and LSL though so he's not in dire straits, but it's still ordinary.
I left Mccain just over a month ago, you aren't talking about Steve are you?

Personally I am in the supply chain and logistics game focusing more on project work and optimization atm current industry is FMCG

I have worked in Aeronautical, Telecommunications, IT, high voltage, water metering, manufacturing etc etc and now Food, beverage etc

Every industry and business needs supply chain or things grind to a holt if one industry has issues I change industry

As long as they pay me and I am engaged I am happy :)

Money just keeps going up and I am slowly beating the older guys due to the fact I am adaptive ;) however I do really respect pople who have a wealth of knowledge in there chosen industry and profession :)

clickeral said:
I left Mccain just over a month ago, you aren't talking about Steve are you?
No mate, talking about H from the FF Cold Store in Ballarat.

I've been involved in a lot of redundancies over the past few years, steel industry. It is a very distressing time for all involved. Not withstanding some long serving employees are well compensated, deservedly. some of those gentlemen, largely, have worked nowhere else and stand no realistic chance of re-employment.
Still it is a credit to them that they thank their employer (boss) for what he has done for them and the help provided.
As I have no doubt ranted elsewhere, that is what the boss is for - support, not bossing.

Communication is the key.

Lemon

It just keeps getting worse by looks of it. Theres no way unemployment is as low as they report. I was made redundant after 9 years with the same company within the rail manufacturing industry back in 2013. Coal price went down, mines slowed down production and demand for locos to ship it pretty much stopped. Place is near closing its doors now due to government sending passenger car contracts offshore to china. Those contracts could easily keep the doors open and some people still employed...upshot is they get a quality product that will last in excess of 20 years as opposed to 5 or 6...but its all about getting cheap shit. Ship builders here in newcastle are just about to suffer the same fate. Pollies have alot to answer for

Dave70 said:
Heard the minister for whatever interviewed on the free trade agreement the other morning. Apparently theres nothing to worry about in regard to jobs moving offshore. Its just a natural progression of industries gravitating toward countries who are more specialized in that particular field, presumably fields like working for around $1200 AUD per month in Chinas case. So apparently we just need to discover our strengths and business will come flooding in.

And bugger Shorten. If he's not agreeing with with stuff he hasn't even heard, he's tucking into a snot appetizer.
..gross..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgqJ1Wp-AoU
If you take the minister at his word, I have some prime real estate to sell you, back of Bourke, but sure to take off any day now.

pist said:
It just keeps getting worse by looks of it. Theres no way unemployment is as low as they report. I was made redundant after 9 years with the same company within the rail manufacturing industry back in 2013. Coal price went down, mines slowed down production and demand for locos to ship it pretty much stopped. Place is near closing its doors now due to government sending passenger car contracts offshore to china. Those contracts could easily keep the doors open and some people still employed...upshot is they get a quality product that will last in excess of 20 years as opposed to 5 or 6...but its all about getting cheap shit. Ship builders here in newcastle are just about to suffer the same fate. Pollies have alot to answer for

They just change the definition of 'unemployed' every time they need to post a drop in the figures...trouble is, they're running out of the number of hours needed to qualify someone as employed.