Reduced Bore Ball Valve..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cocko

Oh Dear..
Reaction score
So, most HBS sell a reduced bore ball valve, why?

Is it to pressurise the out put of a pump? as in, a finger on a garden hose to squirt the spray harder?

Where in the brewery does this thing play a place?

How and where do people use them?

They're cheaper. Most 3 piece ball valves are full bore.

I use a reduced bore 1/2" ball valve on my transfer tank in my 2v system and it's a right pain in the arse, but I didn't want to spend money or have the weight of a full bore 2 or 3 piece valve hanging off a cheap and nasty bunnings 30 litre plastic drum.

I'm with FB, they exist and are sold in (some) HB shops because they are cheaper, and home-brewers are tight-arses so want everything as cheap as possible.

+1 from me. Brewers are often shopping based on price over quality. A stainless 1/2" ball valve for $15 or $25. I bet the $15 sell more.

+1 from me. Brewers are often shopping based on price over quality. A stainless 1/2" ball valve for $15 or $25. I bet the $15 sell more.
Yes reduced bore do sell more and even more when you sell them for $9.95.
Nothing wrong with them, on a small scale brew rig they are perfect.
vev

Yes reduced bore do sell more and even more when you sell them for $9.95.
Nothing wrong with them, on a small scale brew rig they are perfect.
vev

Nice plug vev! :p

Can anyone give an example of how you would use one, making it a better application than a full bore?

Nice plug vev! :p

Except he sells them for $9.75 :rolleyes:

Can anyone give an example of how you would use one, making it a better application than a full bore?

A reduced bore valve would have a slower flow, so could theoretically be better in a kettle when you want a slower flow to either avoid distrubing the trub cone, or to slow the flow down for a chiller. Of course you could always just half open a full bore valve, so the reduced bore isn't really "better", but as said above its cheaper.

Thank you all for the replies, all from very respected members too..

Just wanted be clear that these are basically around due to the usual overwhelming puckering anus of 'the home brewer'...

:icon_cheers:

If I can remember from TAFE, smaller ball = one pipe size smaller, eg: 3/4 valve = 1/2 orifice. I think in some cases it was to reduce the chance of water hammer due to being able to slam em shut so quick.
It reduces the volume and rate of flow.

We charged the same either way. If anyone asked, I'd say the valve with the smaller hole contains more metal and really should be more expensive. They never did.

No wonder so many home brew supply shops tank..

hey guys this probably not very homebrew related and not much help/interest to anyone , but from an industrial/mining/process point of view where we use much larger valves these are some of the things we consider....

A reduced bore valve:
is much cheaper to produce than a typical 2 or 3 piece full bore valve
as a one-piece cannot be serviced/repaired in-line ... where as a 3-piece full bore valve can..this is especially useful when valves have welded or flanged ends and not screwed.
will create a pressure drop in the system (not significantly but can increase pumping costs over time)
will cause an increase in velocity and decrease in flow (marginally)
A 'pigging' system cannot be used with a reduced bore ball valve (a 'pig' is typically an object shot through a pipeline to clean scale etc)
in smaller sizes, generally do not have a mounting pad to accomodate actuators (pnuematic/hydraulic or electric)

So really a reduced bore valve doesnt sound very attractive to an engineer or an end user....but when weighed up against the cost of a full bore valve (in larger sizes we are talking 10's of thousands of dollars difference) they become very appealing.

the same applies to us as homebrewers but on a smaller scale.... if we can live with the above 'restrictions' (pun intended) which 99.9999% of us can....then we should just buy the cheapest option.

Thats my one post for the year :icon_chickcheers: RL

Full bore values are for $$$ suckers, you put your wort through what?
Hose tails, tubing, chillers? Reduced flow..poppy cock! Have a look at your pumps delivery orifice size.

Oh right.... Friday night is warming up.
be nice to one another now retailers :super: :lol: :lol:

Back