Redoak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFF

Reaction score
Tried a Redoak Vienna Lager today from the tap at the new beer cafe in clarence st in syd today. They have an awesome array of boutique brews. Just wondering if anyone else has tried them and if so what you thought.

I might go back tomorrow and try their stout and porter to see how mine stack up.

Haven't tried them yet. Heard a bit about them and read a few reviews.
I'm trying to schedule a team get-together there for lunch next week :D

Doc

Yeah,

I was there a few weeks back. The Vienna Lager was nice, but, I prefered the Bock. Then again the Strong Scotch Ale was really nice as well as was the Pale Ale and the Pilsner. The Oatmeal Stout was a nice finish to the night. So many beers, so little time...... Good thing I wasn't paying......

Meeting a mate there for lunch today. I'll report back this afternoon.

Food was good, but the important stuff, my attempt at sounding like I know how to judge beer:

Organic Pale Ale
Fairly balanced, leaning towards the malty side. Very easy drinking.

Pilsener
Not as strong a saaz hop character as the James Squire, but a nice refreshing beer.

Bock
First time I've tried a bock, so nothing to compare it too. Big malty taste.

Oatmeal Stout
Very nice. Big roasted flavour with the oats taking the edge off the roasted bitterness. Silky mouth feel.

My mate had the belgian choc stout, which I had a sip of. Some bitterness from the chocolate at first, which softens out. I think I would need to drink a whole one really appreciate it.

Definitely worth a visit.

Thanks for the feedback.

I went back and tried the oatmeal stout. Must admit, I was a bit disappointed. I have only been AG brewing for 6 months and my first attempt at an oat meal was better than theirs IMHO.

At $5.50 - 6.00 at small glass ..... more power to the home brewer I say.

JFF

Fair call, but I'd say most of us would rate our beers compared to what you find in a pub. We brew to our own tastes, afterall.

I agree it's a bit pricey, but any up-market restaurants/pubs in the Sydney CBD are similar. I was once charged $9 for a can of guinness!

For me, I like places doing something a bit different. Hence the appeal of the belgian beer cafe, or Lord Nelson etc.

Anyway, I reckon it's worth a look, but wouldn't be a regular "drinks after work" establishment.

Wreck.

Looks like I'll get to try them all out end of next week. As long as they can fit my entire team in we are going there for lunch and beers.

And when it rains it pours. Also got a kick back lunch on at the Belgian Beer Cafe next week too. Must start checking out their online beer menu and planning my attack :p

Doc

I made it to Redoak the other night and I got to have a good long chat with the master brewer, Dave, if I remember correctly (I was 11 beers into their menu when he came out to meet this beer swilling bandit :chug: ).
He brought me out a beer "Christmas Cheer" which he advised will be removed from their menu very shortly. Now I dont profess to be a conusor by any standard. If I like it Ill drink it, if I dont like it Ill usually drink it anyway. But this one I liked! Ive never had a beer remotely like it before. Dave said it was based on his grandmothers Christmas pudding recipe, and bugger me if it didnt smell and taste of a rich, dark, chrissy pudding :D .
(maybe someone who knows what they are talking about can expand on this description :p )
I was too smashed to take down any notes but he didnt seem adverse to revealing ingredients, pen and paper at the ready next time. As they are taking this off the menu Id advise anyone who can to get down there and give it a go.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad for Redoak. I assue you I have no affilation with them. :ph34r:

Just back from lunch at Redoak. A good solid three hour lunch.

Tried the:
- Bavarian Pilsner
- Bock
- HefeWeizen
- Strong Ale
- Vienna Lager
- Oatmeal Stout
- Belgium Chocolate Stout

Didn't mind the Vienna Lager unlike you other guys. Thought it was a little dark however. The Bock was pretty good, but a little sweet. The Bavarian Pilsner had a little bite to it kinda like I'd just brushed my teeth. The Oatmeal Stout was pretty good but a little sweet also.
My favourites were the HefeWeizen and the Belgim Chocolate Stout. In fact these two beers were excellent. Probably the only other beer I was keen to try was the Wee Heavy, but you have to have a reason to return don't you :p

Beers,
Doc

Back