Redoak Brewery Pub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote name='Low Hang'n' date='Feb 8 2006, 03:31 PM']Where's the JS brewhouse? haven't been there.
[post="107369"][/post]​
[/quote]
King St Wharf, up towards the Bungalow8 end rather than the Cargo end.

neonmeate said:
i just want the wig and pen to open up a franchise in sydney. somewhere that serves pints of beer with hops in it goddamit!
maybe it's a sydney thing - lord nelson, paddys, JS brewhouse, redoak, macquarie, not a single beer over 35 IBUs!
[post="107367"][/post]​
The Summer Ale at Paddys is/was an Indian Pale that was 45 IBU's, the Pilsner was 35 IBU. If you drop past there now you will find the APA is a bit bigger than its former self, as Callum is a big fan of hopping beers up for the awards in Melb.
It's no problem making hop driven beers, but it is very hard to sell them. Yes I know home brewers love them, but they prefer to make there own.
Cheers
Gerard

neonmeate said:
i just want the wig and pen to open up a franchise in sydney. somewhere that serves pints of beer with hops in it goddamit!
maybe it's a sydney thing - lord nelson, paddys, JS brewhouse, redoak, macquarie, not a single beer over 35 IBUs!
[post="107367"][/post]​

JSB's ... Govenor King has a decent hop bite (probably more than the IPA, for me), but still fairly safe.
As gerard says, they have to be able to move the kegs and as it is high hop loving homebrewers are the minority :rolleyes:
We just have to make em ourselves :super:

Malnourished said:
Gerard_M said:
Paddy's at Flemington is a great venue to take a young lady along too.
:lol:
My girlfriend didn't really think so :D
[post="107403"][/post]​
OK Mal there are a few ways we can look at this:

Did you have a shopper docket & get 2 steaks for the price of one?

Did your girlfriend have a Choc Porter served with a Double Belgian Chocolate IceCream sandwich?

Did your girlfriend meet Steve at the end of the bar? :chug:

Were you at Paddy's while the lingerie waitresses were working? :eek:

Maybe she is a bit of a snob?

Well I don't know, maybe it is just a coincidence that my wife has the same opinion!

Cheers
Gerard

Gerard_M said:
Maybe she is a bit of a snob?
This one! For some reason she doesn't think truckers are cool. And she doesn't like being the only woman in a pub. I don't get it.

Personally I had a brilliant time! Three different games of cricket on the TVs and kick-arse dirt cheap beer! :super: It's everything Redoak isn't, and more.

Next time I'll remember the Shop-A-Dockets...

Gerard_M said:
neonmeate said:
[post="107367"][/post]​
The Summer Ale at Paddys is/was an Indian Pale that was 45 IBU's, the Pilsner was 35 IBU. If you drop past there now you will find the APA is a bit bigger than its former self, as Callum is a big fan of hopping beers up for the awards in Melb.
It's no problem making hop driven beers, but it is very hard to sell them. Yes I know home brewers love them, but they prefer to make there own.
Cheers
Gerard
[post="107374"][/post]​

that's true the summer ale was nice.

what is it about the australian public that they won't drink anything bitter?

Bobby said:

i agree!! Went to the Lord Nelson on the weekend. Gave all the beers a go (again...) but i found them a little too safe. I love the old Admiral but the others are fairly tame. A little bit dissappointed really....so i wandered back to the australian for the best pizzas in sydney.
[post="107368"][/post]​

I second the call for another 'Wig 'n Pen', but reckon Newcastle would be better than Sydney as the location :p

As for the Lord Nelson's beers, I was there just before New Year's Eve and I thought the Victory Bitter (think that was the name) was lovely. Sure it wouldn't have been more than 35 IBUs, but was still a pretty nice commercial version of the style - well in my opinion anyway... :) Overall I thought their beers this visit were a big improvement on previous visits - quality certainly heading up which is a good thing. Maybe you Sydney blokes need to start a Yankee style brewpub with a series of hop monsters just for something different... Gap in the market??

Shawn.

Gough said:
Bobby said:
[post="107368"][/post]​
I second the call for another 'Wig 'n Pen', but reckon Newcastle would be better than Sydney as the location :p
Shawn.
[post="107494"][/post]​

I havent been to a Wig'n'Pen (i dont think) but there is the Elephant and Wheelbarrow up in Paddo on Oxford Street (old Kittie's i believe). they have several english Bitters on tap... Speckled Hen, Boddie's, Bass, Abbots and a cast of others... guiness, kilkenny.. etc etc

what does a Wig'n'Pen usually have to offer..?

rightio... i did the research, looks like a great brewpub to get to some day.!!
(i mistakenly gathered the pub was a english themed bar serving commercial beers... :rolleyes: )

have a look at the Wig & Pen

KoNG

Back