Redoak Brewery Pub

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Low Hang'n

Reaction score
Just a quick question to see if anyone has been to the RedOak brewery/pub/cafe in Clarence st (Sydney City)? Went there last year and had some great beers, they also do home delivery but I haven't gotten off by b... to buy some (started brewing my own instead). I haven't had a chance to get there again for some time & was wondering if they are still making good & interesting beer.

The actual RedOak brewery is out near Picton somewhere and in my opinion their beer is heads & shoulders above the BlueTongue brand that you see fairly often nowadays.

Cheers
Low Hang'n

yep i was there on friday, used to go there quite often but hadn't been for ages.
their beers are great although expensive!
at the moment they have quite an array of seasonal/rotational beers... i had the english mild which was very nice and they also had a belgian wit, which was good too. :chug:

i like what they do.

KoNG said:
yep i was there on friday, used to go there quite often but hadn't been for ages.
at the moment they have quite an array of seasonal/rotational beers... i had the english mild which was very nice and they also had a belgian wit, which was good too. :chug:

i like what they do.
[post="106905"][/post]​

May have to make the effort & go into town to have a couple again. As you mentioned though, they are expensive. :beer:

Cheers

The food there is pretty damn good too. Best Pork Belly in Sydney by my reckoning.

The food there is pretty damn good too. Best Pork Belly in Sydney by my reckoning.

Ooo i don't know about best pork belly! I reckon the pork belly at Aria would have to be Sydney's best pork belly!

But yes, I agree that redoak has got some tasty food.

The Bock was my favourite redoak beer but the last 2 times i've been they haven't had any!

Bock was on last week sam.....
agree it is a nice drop, Great malt profile!!

KoNG said:
[post="106905"][/post]​

Jeez it's hard to get something good, and cheap!

Sorry Fellas, but Im going against the grain here. Admittedly I have only been once though.

When I went late last year I went with the tasting board, and I was a bit annoyed with what we got. The food, admittedly isn't the focus, but was dry and pretty naff, and to top it off we had a scotch ale switched without being told for a rauch (sic) beer which was definitely not my cup of tea to say the least.

Having said that though i can see that the Redoak is an excellent location and has some good beers on tap. For me its an excellent date location to show the other dimensions that exist to drinking and brewing beer.

For what its worth though, From what i can see of my experience, my experience was definitely in the minority though.

Will

Screwtop said:
Jeez it's hard to get something good, and cheap!
[post="107195"][/post]​

near impossible these days, but at $6.50 on average for a 250ml glass :( , they are definately in the upper echolon.

;) although I've enjoyed the beers there I've never had a good food experience either
Last time was so bad SWMBO has banned any eating there.

mikem108 said:
;) although I've enjoyed the beers there I've never had a good food experience either
Last time was so bad SWMBO has banned any eating there.
[post="107327"][/post]​

Must say, I haven't eaten there. Met a mate that works down the road and had a couple of beers. Really enjoyed the environment because it is somewhere you can take the ladies. My SWMBO had a chocolate flavoured beer there that she really enjoyed, but as I mentioned before that was last year.

Hmmmmm........ time to visit again :beer:

Cheers
Low Hang'n

Low Hang said:
. they make some very nice beers but they're terrified of scaring people away with hops! so everything is over-sweet (like everything except the pilsener) and has stuff added to it to make it taste less "beery" (chocolate, raspberry, cherries).

that said the baltic porter is fantastic.
but when are they going to do an IPA?

kungy said:
Sorry Fellas, but Im going against the grain here. Admittedly I have only been once though.
For me its an excellent date location to show the other dimensions that exist to drinking and brewing beer.

Will
[post="107197"][/post]​

Will
Paddy's at Flemington is a great venue to take a young lady along too. Make sure you take a shopper docket & get the 2 steaks for $12 deal. Wash it all down with the cheapest micro brewed schooner in Sydney! The strong ale is pretty good, and the porter is still a great drop.If your luck is in, then try the breakfast buffet :D
Not affiliated with Paddy's anymore, just trying to be helpful.
Cheers
Gerard

I'm one of the lucky ones, Miss KoNG loves a beer and she is happy with anywhere we go as long as they have a good selection :beerbang:
(Ross may remember her enjoying the Oxford 152 selection :blink: )
Funnily enough i have never taken her to RedOak.

I'm also waiting for you to open up your micro Gerard....

KoNG said:
I'm also waiting for you to open up your micro Gerard....
[post="107349"][/post]​
We should have it finished in time for Kaitlyn's 21st, so thats 19 years & 4 months to go. You might want to have a beer or 2 while you wait.
Cheers
Gerard

neonmeate said:
Low Hang said:
. they make some very nice beers but they're terrified of scaring people away with hops! so everything is over-sweet (like everything except the pilsener) and has stuff added to it to make it taste less "beery" (chocolate, raspberry, cherries).

that said the baltic porter is fantastic.
but when are they going to do an IPA?
[post="107339"][/post]​

My wife is German so enjoys a beer or two or three...... :D (not necessarily sweet, but did like the chocolate one). As you say they are trying hard to attract a certain patron, hence the trendy beer styles, restaurant and the location. Must say the berry/chocolate ones aren't to my liking either but at least there was enough of a selection of styles to get a good drop down the throat.

Gerard_M said:
kungy said:
For me its an excellent date location to show the other dimensions that exist to drinking and brewing beer.

Will
[post="107197"][/post]​

Will
Paddy's at Flemington is a great venue to take a young lady along too. Make sure you take a shopper docket & get the 2 steaks for $12 deal. Wash it all down with the cheapest micro brewed schooner in Sydney! The strong ale is pretty good, and the porter is still a great drop.If your luck is in, then try the breakfast buffet :D
Not affiliated with Paddy's anymore, just trying to be helpful.
Cheers
Gerard
[post="107340"][/post]​

Used to work in the office block there and so spent some time in the pub. A bit rough some days when all the markets workers had knocked off and were well on their way to beertopia. But must admit the beer was pretty good, probably because a mate of mine tweaked up the brewery for them a while back as they hadn't had it set-up right.

Cheers
Low Hang'n

i just want the wig and pen to open up a franchise in sydney. somewhere that serves pints of beer with hops in it goddamit!
maybe it's a sydney thing - lord nelson, paddys, JS brewhouse, redoak, macquarie, not a single beer over 35 IBUs!

i just want the wig and pen to open up a franchise in sydney. somewhere that serves pints of beer with hops in it goddamit!
maybe it's a sydney thing - lord nelson, paddys, JS brewhouse, redoak, macquarie, not a single beer over 35 IBUs!

i agree!! Went to the Lord Nelson on the weekend. Gave all the beers a go (again...) but i found them a little too safe. I love the old Admiral but the others are fairly tame. A little bit dissappointed really....so i wandered back to the australian for the best pizzas in sydney.

neonmeate said:
[post="107367"][/post]​

Must be; I suppose it's the mass market appeal they're all after.

Where's the JS brewhouse? haven't been there.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back