Redhill Weizenbock Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
I was drinking this on boxing day and would like to attempt something similar.

Here is what their website says about this beer.

Weizenbock

Our tall, dark and strong German. One batch only, brewed by popular request, only available in bottles.

This Dark wheat beer presents deep rich toasty chocolate and nut characters, created by our blend of Vienna, Chocolate and Wheat malts. It is highly carbonated for a soft delicate mouthfeel, and we use traditional wheat beer yeasts to develop clove and banana aromatics. The sweet characters and high alcohol of this style are balanced subtly by our own Tettnanger and Halletauer hops.

Weizenbock 7.9%

Malt
Vienna, Wheat, Cara Pils
Hops
Bittering: Tettnang / Hallertau
Aroma: Hallertau

Original Gravity: 1077
Bitterness: 20 IBU

Could some of you recipe experts please help out with suggested quantities of grain to use and what yeast I should use? Perhaps German wheat 3333?

Thanks heaps.

If you use brewing software, you can easily adjust your quantities until you get to a target OG. The biggest determining factor will be your brewhouse efficiency.

23L at an efficiency of 70% you could try for something like:

4kg Wheat malt ~ 50%
3.8kg Vienna malt ~ 45%
500g Carapils ~ 5%

60 minute addition, equal amounts of Tettnanger and Hallertau to 20 IBU.

I've used 3333 for a lighter wheat beer. It would probably work at higher gravity. Or you could use 3068.

If you use brewing software, you can easily adjust your quantities until you get to a target OG. The biggest determining factor will be your brewhouse efficiency.

23L at an efficiency of 70% you could try for something like:

4kg Wheat malt ~ 50%
3.8kg Vienna malt ~ 45%
500g Carapils ~ 5%

60 minute addition, equal amounts of Tettnanger and Hallertau to 20 IBU.

I've used 3333 for a lighter wheat beer. It would probably work at higher gravity. Or you could use 3068.

Thanks Josh, I just wasn't sure of % of each grain to use. But Ive done some more reading and played around in brewmate and came up with similar to what you suggest.

@Newtown Clown.....good question, Im guessing they only mentioned some of the main malts used and not all of them.

Ive come up with this. Added hallertau at flame out for aroma and 300 grams chocolate

wiezenbock.PNG

A quick google search turned up a byo recipe for aventinus that is the classic example. Use this as a base to design recipe.

I personally think the catapils is a mistake on the website and would get rid of it first. The 300g of chocolate is too much and will dominate. I would cut back to 115 - 135g.

Good luck

http://byo.com/stories/recipeindex/article...inus-weizenbock

Why do you think the Carapils is an error ABC?
Not being a smart arse, curious to know why?
I will drop the chocolate down as you suggest.
Thanks.

I simply think it is a typo in the website + I have not seen Weiss beer with carapils before. Had quick scan through brewing with wheat and don't see any use of carapils. It is more or gut feel than anything else. It is up to you.

Why don't you call them or send an email requesting their recipe? This is what I do and generally most brewers are happy to help you out.

Have you taken any gravity measurements of the beer? What is the mouthfell? These are all things you can do when trying to clone a beer?

David Golding has always been helpful with recipe information in the past when ive asked so yes he probably would give me some advice on this one.

As for mouthfeel I'm a novice at describing beers especially mouthfeel but it did seem quite thick, heavy if that's a good way to describe it.

Thanks again for your advice.

Latest posts

Back