Redhill Hop Harvest Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
The missus and I tried this last night and enjoyed it, so I was going to have a go at brewing a clone.

Redhill were kind enough to make things easy for me by providing the malt bill but I would appreciate one of you brewing gurus advising what percentages of each grain I should use.

Also what ratio of dry hops would you suggest for this? 1 gram per litre perhaps?

Hop Harvest Ale

The brewers were knee deep in our hops for this special brew, using hops just harvested from our own vines which were then steeped in our conditioning vats for months, this is a traditional English style bitter. Copper in colour with a strong malt character, balanced by the use of our new seasons Willamette and Goldings hops to create a full hop flavour and aroma. The complex grain bill provides a full, rich & malty ale that has hints of marmalade and lashings of hop resin flavours, finishing with a peppery spicy note.

Hop Harvest Ale 6.0%

Malt
Marris Otter, Crystal, Pale Chocolate
Hops
Bittering: Willamette
Aroma: Goldings
Dry Hopped: Goldings

Original Gravity: 1061
Bitterness: 44 IBU

I haven't had the beer but 1g/L doesn't sound like "knee deep in our hops" to me.

The missus and I tried this last night and enjoyed it, so I was going to have a go at brewing a clone.

Redhill were kind enough to make things easy for me by providing the malt bill but I would appreciate one of you brewing gurus advising what percentages of each grain I should use.

Also what ratio of dry hops would you suggest for this? 1 gram per litre perhaps?

Have you got another bottle of it so you can compare it to a colour chart? That would lessen a lot of the guessing....

Your base malt will give you most of the fermentables so use software to calculate how much maris will give you 1055+ on your system. Add in enough crystal to hit the 1061, then enough choc to get the right colour.

Then drink another one and consider, based on your experience of brewing with these ingredients whether the crystal looks like it would be too much (overly caramel sweet) and adjust (up the base malt, lower the crystal etc).

Brew, get something vaguely close and keep tweaking till you're happy or bored. Most of your 44 IBU will come from willamette, aroma hops will be soemthing to work out by trial and error as will dry hop. Is it really lashings of resin or is that just a marketting thing?

Might need more than 1g/L but again - trial and error will tell you that.

Still going to be hard to get close without fermentation regime and yeast strain but you'll be able to come up with tasty beers in the ballpark.

I haven't had the beer but 1g/L doesn't sound like "knee deep in our hops" to me.

It was just a guess as I have no idea. So what would you suggest as a suitable dry hop addition that will have me "knee deep in hops"???

If I had a suggestion to make I would have made it. I haven't had the beer nor do I brew the style.

I do dry hop though and 1g/L is certainly less than what even marketting hyperbole could call "knee deep".

[EDIT: typo]

Your base malt will give you most of the fermentables so use software to calculate how much maris will give you 1055+ on your system. Add in enough crystal to hit the 1061, then enough choc to get the right colour.

Then drink another one and consider, based on your experience of brewing with these ingredients whether the crystal looks like it would be too much (overly caramel sweet) and adjust (up the base malt, lower the crystal etc).

Brew, get something vaguely close and keep tweaking till you're happy or bored. Most of your 44 IBU will come from willamette, aroma hops will be soemthing to work out by trial and error as will dry hop. Is it really lashings of resin or is that just a marketting thing?

Might need more than 1g/L but again - trial and error will tell you that.

Still going to be hard to get close without fermentation regime and yeast strain but you'll be able to come up with tasty beers in the ballpark.

Thanks manticle, will give that a go. Dont have much experience brewing with these ingredients together but I suppose if I peruse through previous recipes where I have used these ingredients I can then refer to my tasting notes and see what compares with this.

I was probably going to use british ale 1098, or do you suggest something else for this?

Thanks manticle, will give that a go. Dont have much experience brewing with these ingredients together but I suppose if I peruse through previous recipes where I have used these ingredients I can then refer to my tasting notes and see what compares with this.

I was probably going to use british ale 1098, or do you suggest something else for this?

I can't really suggest without knowing the beer. 1098 or 1028 will give a nice result though. 1028 would be my preference for a paler coloured beer and 1099 for a dark coloured beer.

Back