RedBeard's Brew Rig v2.0 build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat007

Reaction score
Hey all

So here's a little build thread of my brew rig 2.0.

Currently using a 2 tier 3 vessel system:

New system incorperates a BrewTroller, automatic ball valves, HERMS, and lots of lights lol

Main parts are:

19meter 1/2" copper HERMS coil.
2 x 3500watt elements in the HLT, which is where the HERMS coil resides.
70L HLT, 100L MLT and 70L boil kettle.
2 x magnetic pumps
Big 500x300x250mm enclosure
Open Source Control Systems BrewTroller DX1
Lots of relays.
Air pump for bubbler volume measuring system for HLT and MLT
Boil kettle is heated by a 32 jet mongolian burner - but I'll probably plug some of the holes as it's a bit too powerful.

Pics of the build so far:

HERMS coil:

Started making a false bottom for MLT out of the end of a stainless sink bench and by cutting slots:

Enclosure front panel cut out:

Almost everything install on front panel:

Back of front panel:

Inside the enclosure - I've since moved the SSR's to the top of the inside of the enclosure as the circuit breakers were blocking air flow too much:

Frame built:

Plumbing mock up without motorised ball valves - in mash mode:

More to come.....

Wow..that my man is freakin awesome. How well do you find the bubbler system works? I considered it but thought it wasnt worth the trouble.

Truman said:
Wow..that my man is freakin awesome. How well do you find the bubbler system works? I considered it but thought it wasnt worth the trouble.

I haven't tested it yet. Only just got some polycarbonate tube in the weekend for the bubbler dip tube, and also to make a sight glass out of.

I hope to have a wet test next weekend but I'm still waiting on my 3 way switches to arrive (the current lower 8 in the enclosure (4 for ball valves, 2 for the elements and 2 for pumps) are just 2 way switches (on/off) at the moment).

The bubbler can be VERY accurate I'm told - down to a few hundred mls apparently!

Have you got the inlet and outlet of the HERMS coil around the wrong way?

Hey Hunt,

seriously impressive brewery.

is that a 7 slightly covered up - you a rotor head too?

printed forms section said:
Hey Hunt,

seriously impressive brewery.

is that a 7 slightly covered up - you a rotor head too?
Ha! That's the first thing I picked up on too. No mistaking that green. Nothing beats a quick Wankel. I'd love to own a 7 but mine looks more like a 4. ;)

Build looks bewt too. How are you planning on finishing the stand?

Camo6 said:
Ha! That's the first thing I picked up on too. No mistaking that green. Nothing beats a quick Wankel. I'd love to own a 7 but mine looks more like a 4. ;)

sadly both my 7's are long gone into other wankel lovers hands... but the inherrent love and memories of 'rotor-smell' remain. why go up and down when you can go round and round.

hahah no sorry folks - not a 7. It's a GA70 Supra - my other project - although 10 years later and I still find things to change/modify:

Camo6 said:

Either POR15 the whole thing, then top coat in just some black heat proof paint. Or maybe just regular heat proof primer/paint.

Not looking forward to sanding it back though....probably just get a bunch of sanding disks on my favourite tool.....the angle grinder! haha

Looks awesome.
Is there a specific thread some where that goes through the electronics side of things? There seems to be so much gizmos and gadgetry round now I cant keep up. Basicaly I love the idea of electronic controls but lack the know how and most of that is probably know whats available and how to use it.

Thanks

I got most of my ideas from these guys: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/

I'm using the OpenTroller DX1 with the BrewTroller firmware to control everything - found here: https://www.oscsys.com/store/product/1002116

There's a Forum on the open source control systems website - or there's an IRC channel: #brewtroller on freenode.net

I could go into great details of my rig, but I'd probably bore you to death haha

Mounted the enclosure on the side of the rig and made it removable (box tube attached to the enclosure slides inside the box tube of the brew rig frame) for some reason. Not sure why I make it removable haha.

Managed a mash efficiency of 86.9% and a brewhouse efficiency of 84.1% the other day. Pretty happy with that.

Next I need to work out what else I want to mount to the frame, or what other mounting points I need to weld to the frame - and then I can paint it!

Finished painting the rig with heat resistant BBQ paint. Hopefully it can handle the heat around the burner section....

2013-09-17 19.45.29.jpg

Latest posts

Back