Redback wheat beer attempt, topped up with hop tea...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugcra

Reaction score
So... I recently attempted a clone of the Matilda bay redback wheat beer, I settled on this recipe.

Redback Pale Ale wheat

Recipe Specs

Original Gravity

Final Gravity

Colour (SRM / EBC)

Bitterness

Alcohol by Volume

5.2 / 10.2

17.3 IBU

4.7%
Brewhouse Specs

Recipe Type

Batch Size

Boil Time

Efficiency

All Grain

23.0 Litres / 6.1 Gal

60.0 min

70.0%
Fermentables

Name

Type

SRM

Percentage

Amount

Pale Ale Malt

Grain

40.00 %

2.00 Kg / 4.41 Lbs

Wheat Malt

Grain

40.00 %

2.00 Kg / 4.41 Lbs

Munich I

Grain

20.00 %

1.00 Kg / 2.20 Lbs
Hops

Name

AA%

Amount

Use

Time

Pride of Ringwood

8.3%

10.00 g / 0.35 oz

Boil

60 mins

Saaz

3.6%

10.00 g / 0.35 oz

Boil

10 mins

Saaz

3.6%

10.00 g / 0.35 oz

Boil

5 mins

Saaz

3.6%

10.00 g / 0.35 oz

Boil

1 mins
Misc

Name

Amount

Use

Time
Yeast

Name

Attenuation

Safale US-05

75 %
Mash Steps

Step Name

Time

Temperature

Type

Saccharification Rest

60.0 min

68.0 °C / 154.4 °F

Infusion

............after 10 days in the fermenter, I racked to a cube, let it rest for 2days and then crash chilled for 4days and then kegged. I found that it is a nice all round beer, but the wheat component is strong at first, then a slight (very slight) hint of barley malt, and a nice 'tingle' of hops to finish.

For me the 'tingle' doesn't last long enough, and I would like to tone the first wheat hit down a tad.

I decided to boil the jug add 5g of ringwood to the coffee plunger add the boiling 1ltr for 10min and then add 5g of sazz for 5min, strained the tea, then I added it to the keg. hasn't changed the beer much at all. A little, but not enough. I'm going to let the beer 'age' and mellow.

Can I have some opinions on the recipe please, as this is a ripper drop, and I would love to get it closer to the bottled stuff.
Do I... adjust the wheat to barley ratio ? Add more hops ? change the yeast ?

Your opinions would be appreciated

The last 6 pack I bought had a distinctive banana and clove to it. Definitely not US-05.

I can't remember that in the past, but my palette is more discerning these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I thought that the yeast would play a part, I chose us-05 trying to get a neutral ferment. But I am keen to try another.

The last 6 pack I bought had a distinctive banana and clove to it. Definitely not US-05.

I can't remember that in the past, but my palette is more discerning these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here, I used to drink Redback religiously until I got more into beer and started picking up that banana ester everywhere.

If you don't want that I would stick to US-05, otherwise maybe you could try Coopers yeast as apparently that throws it off when fermented above 16 or so.

just got a 6 pack of this today and then saw this post, i use us-05 for my ales, but being a wheat beer have you tried using yeast strains that are designed for wheat beers? i dont know any off the top of my head, as i havent delved into wheat beers to much (thats on the to-do-list). Maybe try making the same recipe again but use a yeast strain that is made for wheat beers,, its amazing how much difference just changing yeast can make to the beer.

Try Wyeast 3068 liquid yeast, or if you prefer dry, use wb-06. if you can keep the temperature to 17C during fermentation it should come out great. Even better if you underpitch it a fair bit.

Yes, if you want Redback you definitely need 3068 or WB06 if you can't get the liquid. As Carnie said, 17' seems to be a sweet spot for the WB06.

Redback has distinct clove and banana which you won't get from US05.

Cheers.

awesome, im going to re-brew this recipe asap......need to get through 20 odd litres of the sub standard redback though

Tried this again yesterday, same recipe but used German weis yeast. Awesome beer, not identical but yummy

Back