Redback Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batemanbrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wanting to try a clone of Redback Original Wheat.
A fantastic beer in my opinion.

This is my proposed recipe. If anyone has any comments please let me know.

Recipe: Redback Clone
Brewer: Mitch
Asst Brewer:
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 27.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 6.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 21.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.50 kg Wheat Malt, Bel (3.9 EBC) Grain 52.63 %
2.00 kg JW Pilsner (3.5 EBC) Grain 42.11 %
0.25 kg Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC) Grain 5.26 %
20.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.6 IBU
25.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Belgian Wheat Yeast (Wyeast Labs #3942) Yeast-Wheat

I'm thinking about reducing the POR a little and add a little more Saaz to achieve the real citrus taste of Redback and lower the IBUs to 18 (apparently redback is 18)

(constructive) criticism welcome :D

Mitch

bump :icon_cheers:

really want some feedback on this recipe guys.

cheers mate
the bloke at the LHBS told me WB-06 was a good way to go so I think I'll switch to that.
I want to stick to POR to keep it on recipe, the Redback bottle says POR and Saaz so I wanna stay with those 2.

Probably will dial the POR down a little though as the AA is a little higher than the beersmith default.

Thanks for the feedback

cheers mate
the bloke at the LHBS told me WB-06 was a good way to go so I think I'll switch to that.
I want to stick to POR to keep it on recipe, the Redback bottle says POR and Saaz so I wanna stay with those 2.

Probably will dial the POR down a little though as the AA is a little higher than the beersmith default.

Thanks for the feedback

I have never tried to make a Redback Clone - have had plenty of it at the Sail.

I just wouldnt use WB-06 - I think it will dry the finish too much. I would actually use an American Yeast as I think Redback is more of an American wheat. Maybe even US-05 - let the Wheat and Saaz shine through.

Just my 2c.

RM

I have never tried to make a Redback Clone - have had plenty of it at the Sail.

I just wouldnt use WB-06 - I think it will dry the finish too much. I would actually use an American Yeast as I think Redback is more of an American wheat. Maybe even US-05 - let the Wheat and Saaz shine through.

Just my 2c.

RM

I would be trying a hefe yeast personally, then crash chill or filter if you can. Redback gives off some subtle clove aromatics which you will miss with an ale yeast.

Cheers, John.

Looks good to me. If I was going to change it I would --

Vienna malt... meh. I think you could leave it out.

Yeast - I don't think that the Belgian Yeast is the appropriate choice. Redback is more of a German style Krstal Weizen. I would go with a true German Wheat yeast - probably Wyeast 3068. Its the Weihenstephan strain and I always find that particular Hefe to be quite clove oriented. In dry yeast I think the WB-06 I think is probably a good choice, From all reports its quite clove balanced. Clove balance is what you want - Redback is intensely phenolic and goes beyond clove into almost bacon/smokiness. A decent pitch of it to keep the banana esters under control a little and ferment at teh cooler end of the range for whatever yeast you choose.

Mash schedule - You want lots of clove, so perhaps consider a ferulic acid rest @ 43C. You want it to be at a slightly higher pH than normal mashing (5.7) so you would do the rest @ 43C - then - add whatever it is you would normally add to keep your pH at 5.2 after you step up to your main sacch rest.

And hope that Les the weizguy reads and answers this thread - cause he's the one who really knows.

TB

Remebering back to drinking RB I recon Jyo and thirsty r dead on.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm putting it down tomorrow with the recipe as is. I'm going to employ thirsty boy's mash schedule though.

On wednesday I think I'll put down the same but with Wyeast 3068 to do a comparison. I'll also have to try without the vienna somewhere down the line.

@CM2 I wanted feedback on this recipe not anyone elses

If you want to do the Cristal - then maybe US05.. but in that article (and I know it was) they do say the Cristal uses a lager yeast. So maybe a lager yeast instead?

They also do specifically refer to the original redback as a "German Style Wheat Beer" - so...... why would you not use a German style wheat beer yeast to make it?

The Crema was an average beer... not bad but not great. Unique in that it was a beer with a distinct coffee character, but it was a pale beer rather than a dark beer. The marketing said they were shooting for something that was to a coffee stout as a cafe late is to an espresso. I think they did that rather well, just that the finished beer didn't blow your socks off thats all.

Hey BB,

YOu can adjust the AA for the hops you have within beersmith. I do this all the time, takes out the guess work. No reason to keep it as default, they just had to go with an average when writing the program.

rendo

Hey BB,

YOu can adjust the AA for the hops you have within beersmith. I do this all the time, takes out the guess work. No reason to keep it as default, they just had to go with an average when writing the program.

rendo

Yeah I know, I posted on the forum before I bought the hops so I just used the beersmith defaults.

I'll let you know how the experimenting goes guys :icon_drunk:

Why definately 05? The article just says the original uses an ale yeast. I just had a 6 pack this weekend, and although im no wheat beer expert, i'd be using a wheat yeast for this beer.
Weizen yeast is an ale yeast. IMO, the W3638 is the right yeast for this beer.

Also, see this link for more redback goodness

I am thinking that citra may work well if chasing the citrus in redback???

Weizen yeast is an ale yeast. IMO, the W3638 is the right yeast for this beer.

Also, see this link for more redback goodness

Hey les, im aware that, i was replying to the post that stated they would definately use us-05 for a clone. Not much wheatyness in US05 haha.

Back