Red wine barrel ageing beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2blokes

Reaction score
Hello

I recently purchased a red wine barrel via a bulk buy. I was not really sure what to do with it but it seemed like a great idea at the time! I have done some research and am hoping I can get some further advice here.

I have these thoughts/questions if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

I am planning either a porter or maybe strong scotch ale.
Will the brew come out sour?
The barrel was sulphited and is stored empty. I understand I have to fill with water to soak and swell it so it seals before use but what about sanitizing/removing sulphur odour?
Should I store full with water/sanistiser solution?
I was planning to use as a secondary fermentation vessel but have been told it should be the primary fermenter due to possible infection and the CO2 will help keep air out to guard against oxidization. My thought is the alcohol will help with killing bugs in secondary, but what about oxidising? If it has to be the primary how long can you leave it on the yeast cake. Is 3 months too long?
I was thinking about three months in the barrel but would test it along the way to check progress.
I am planning to get this done soon and to store in the garage (3months or so storage) so temperature would be lower but what would be considered too high.
An old jamil podcast suggested keeping some wort aside for topping up as liquid will be lost through evaporation over time? if we think this true I guess storing wort in PET bottles would be OK if it's just a few months?

Appreciate any input.

Ian

How did you get on Ian? Did you end up using the barrel for beer?

Sorry for late response, where are you at now with the barrel? I did and experiment with a 10 litre oak port barrel. I just rinsed with star-san. It was used as a secondary fermentation using a cork with a airlock as the bung. Tasted every couple of days and bottled on day eleven. The brew was a basic Coopers stout with enhancer number 2. The result turned out to be an excellent drop after maturing in the bottle for 6 mths.The stout was rich in flavour and you could taste some oak.
Cheers

Back