Red Hill Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screwtop

Inspectors Pocket Brewery
Reaction score
Tried this MB in May this year. Have a great Wheat Beer and a nice deck where light meals are served.

They also grow their own hops.

"Red Hill Brewery" said:
The Red Hill Brewery is unique as we have our own
hopyard onsite and organically grow all our own hops
for use in our beers. We use the whole hop flowers,
dried here in Red Hill, in the brewing process.

We grow five varieties of hops
* Hallertauer
* Tettnanger
* Golding
* Willamette
* Pride of Ringwood

Gotta respect that. :beerbang:

Cant wait to try their beers.

Check 'em out: Red Hill Brewery

i had the wee heavy, it was a decent belhaven type number. and no infection issues, unlike a few victorian micros i could name!

Hey 'screwtop' is that who I think it is? welcome to this site :beer: If it is, ring me I have a new mill ready to run. :D

Yeah it's a top place with good beer (Golden Ale was my favourite) and really good food. I can see myself downing a whole lot of beers on that deck this summer...

Hey there,

I visited the Red Hill brewery over the easter weekend with a bunch of mates who like beer but are not hard core AG brewers like me.

From my perspective it was both good and bad.

The Good was the beer! Which is important. And the bar girls were professional and friendly.

The Bad was that the food was served cold and pretty poor quality.
The worse part was that after waiting almost 4 hours for a tour of the brewery, the chap who conducted it who was apparently the head brewer was totally disinterested in talking about anything more than the mega basic never brewed anything 30sec run down, and in fact when approached to talk in any detail said he was too busy and headed off to sip on his own pint in hand.

Anyway, needless to say I was mega disspointed in this attitude and would not recommend anyone waste the cost in petrol to drive there. But I do say try the beer.

Friends of mine visited a few weeks ago and brought back a couple of six packs that we tasted on Good Friday.

Two tastings were conducted - the Weizenbock and the Strong Ale. Unfortunately both were well undercarbonated to the point of being flat and headless even when poured from a great height.

The Weizenbock was quite fruity with a strong alcohol presence, whilst the Strong Ale smelt strongly of rasberries and lacked any alcoholic warmth. Both were reasonable beers, just not anything to rave about.

NRB said:
Two tastings were conducted - the Weizenbock and the Strong Ale. Unfortunately both were well undercarbonated to the point of being flat and headless even when poured from a great height.
[post="121691"][/post]​

Interesting, from what I gathered from the unfriendly brewer, the beers on tap which I had would have been force carbonated in the keg VS the bottled which would be naturally carbonated in the bottle. Regardless, it's pretty shit that you get under-carbonated beer for the price they charge.

Weizenbock was some seriously high alcohol, like 7.9% or soo! I though it tasted ok on tap. But it stupidly expensive, like $6.50 a pot!!!!!!

When you say the strong ale, I think you mean the "scotch" ale, which I really didn't like at all and thus didn't drink more than a small taste.

I had quite the opposite experience.

My wife and I were in Melb for the games, and stayed one weekend with friends down that way. On the Saturday afternoon we took a run over there, via a few other sites, and managed to get there at about 4:40pm, when the place closes at 5:00pm :angry:

The chap serving (Matt) was the brewer and we had a good chat about everything, but although he gave me a look at the insides of the brewery, there wasn't that much time. he didn't seem to mind taking the time at all. Wonder if it was the same guy?

I liked their Scotch Ale, I took a 6 pack with me that Matt dug out of the coolroom that had been sitting in there for weeks. It was properly carbonated.

The Wiezenbock was nice as well but the Weisse was a bit of a disappointment as even served from the tap it lacked that sharp carbonation bite. I spoke to Matt about that and he seemed to take it on the chin well, explaining that he hasn't been able to get the right carbonation into his kegs yet.

Their beer though is really priced right at the top of the range, and as nice as it was I'd have a problem paying over $20 for it again - and yes, the pots were expensive as well.

Trev

Rex said:
When you say the strong ale, I think you mean the "scotch" ale, which I really didn't like at all and thus didn't drink more than a small taste.

:eek: yeah, that's what I meant, sorry for the confusion. I wasn't overly inspired by it either, but did drink the entire stubby flat as it was.

Dropped in at Red Hill this arvo for lunch & a couple of quiet beers. There was a good crowd in for lunch & everybody was given a run down of what beers were available. I had a sample of the Golden ale & Hefe, but the Hop Harvest Ale was my pick. Plenty of hops but not out of balance. I took a 6 pack of the Hop Harvest & Golden Ale to try out with some mates. Interesting to see how their bottle conditioning is going.
I hope to get back down that way later in the year, but next time I will take my golf clubs as well!
Cheers
Gerard

Dropped in at Red Hill this arvo for lunch & a couple of quiet beers. There was a good crowd in for lunch & everybody was given a run down of what beers were available. I had a sample of the Golden ale & Hefe, but the Hop Harvest Ale was my pick. Plenty of hops but not out of balance.
I hope to get back down that way later in the year, but next time I will take my golf clubs as well!

Did they have their Scotch Ale available ? That is my fav.

Doc

Did they have their Scotch Ale available ? That is my fav.

Doc

Doc
It was there, but not the type of beer to enjoy over lunch on a sunny day, more a fire-side beer on a cold night.
Cheers
Gerard

i went a while back just randomly with a mate when we wer down at the beach and tried the christmas ale and golden ale and after that both of us became homebrewers :super:

so i was happy with it although before then all i had drunk was carlton and heinekins etc..

Their Wheat and schotch are great!

Chrismas ale was quite interesting!

Gotta go down their and do the hop harvest!

Their Imperial Stout is awsome! Can't wait for it to come out this year...I plan on buying a slab.

Spent last Saturday at Red Hill for a few beers and lunch. Four beers on tap, Golden Ale, Weizen, Scotch Ale and Hop Harvest. Got chatting with the owner and brewer about their beers. All the beers were great, well worth a visit. Even scored a bottle of the upcoming Imperial Stout which is in the fridge chilling now. We had dinner in Mornington later that night and the restaurant even had the Golden Ale in bottles on the list, good to see the local beers getting a run around the area.

Spent last Saturday at Red Hill for a few beers and lunch. Four beers on tap, Golden Ale, Weizen, Scotch Ale and Hop Harvest. Got chatting with the owner and brewer about their beers. All the beers were great, well worth a visit. Even scored a bottle of the upcoming Imperial Stout which is in the fridge chilling now. We had dinner in Mornington later that night and the restaurant even had the Golden Ale in bottles on the list, good to see the local beers getting a run around the area.

me and the missus popped in about a month ago and purchased a 6 pack of the Scotch ale. Nice drop!

Has anyone in Sydney seen Red Hill Scotch Ale available in Sydney bottle shops ?
Particularly any of the CBD ones.
The Red Hill website doesn't show any NSW/Sydney distributors.

Beers,
Doc

doc give em a call or shoot em an email they are only to happy to help, maybe they know somewhere :

Phone (03) 5989 2959
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back