Red Hill Brewery Scotch Ale Limited Edition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mad Hopper

Reaction score
Recently my girlfriend was down on the Mornington Peninsula this week and stopped in at Red Hill Brewery to surprise me with some beer on the way back! At the brewery they sell a limited edition version of their scotch ale that they've taken and matured in old scotch barrels for a few months. I really want to open and partake of it, but I'm saving it for a special occasion (I think any $25, 650mL beer deserves a special occasion!). Has anyone tried this and could they share their thoughts? Also, what temperature did you drink it at, because I find that their standard scotch ale is best drunk slightly warm (maybe around 8-10C).

Cheers.

Recently my girlfriend was down on the Mornington Peninsula this week and stopped in at Red Hill Brewery to surprise me with some beer on the way back! At the brewery they sell a limited edition version of their scotch ale that they've taken and matured in old scotch barrels for a few months. I really want to open and partake of it, but I'm saving it for a special occasion (I think any $25, 650mL beer deserves a special occasion!). Has anyone tried this and could they share their thoughts? Also, what temperature did you drink it at, because I find that their standard scotch ale is best drunk slightly warm (maybe around 8-10C).

Cheers.

Haven't had it but would love to try it. I wonder if they do mail order as I can't see myself getting down the penninsula anytime soon.
And just to be pedantic I'm pretty certain it was matured in old wine barrels which were "rinsed" with Scotch.

I don't think I tasted the scotch ale, but last time I was down there with a couple of friends, their hefewiezen on tap was fantastic. For me, easily my favorite australian hefeweizen I've tasted. Also their christmas ale was nice, a strong belgian, but might benefit from aging a little in the bottle

And just to be pedantic I'm pretty certain it was matured in old wine barrels which were "rinsed" with Scotch.

Good point. After asking my girlfriend, she said that the brewer told her it was old shiraz barrels that they then infused (... rinsed as you said!) with Scotch.

Good point. After asking my girlfriend, she said that the brewer told her it was old shiraz barrels that they then infused (... rinsed as you said!) with Scotch.

I hope this barrel thing becomes regular. Barrel aged Imperial Stout that isn't a rip off (moooooooooooooooo) would be most excellent:)