Red earth

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buntung483

Reaction score
No description available online. Please help with this hop, and if there is a consensus reached, this will be the new description.
MOD: Inserted by Lord Raja Goomba I, original post below:

Hi

Got some hop rhizomes past year from hop co in tazzy. There just about ready to harvest.
I got a variety called red earth which I've never heard of but being something different I thought why not. I have asked Sam from hopco but he must be to busy to reply so thought I'd try the forum.
Does anyone know anything about this hop. All I've been told is earthy and woody aroma/flavour. If someone is able to tell me what type of beer to make with it would be great to try out this new variety.

It's going to be the beginning of harvest time in the next few days. Hope can help

Cheers

Never heard of it before, but if the descriptors are "earthy and woody" it should go well in the darker ale styles such as a porter or even an English Dark Mild.
I could even imagine that in a big Belgian Trippel or Strong Dark Ale for a bit of a twist.

Andrew

How do you buy from HopCo, now that I'm living in Tas? Their site is kinda nothing about how to buy or do anything. Unless it's a different site I'm looking at.

There is an email address there on the site. If you send an email to them. He Will let you know when rhizomes are available. It was around June from memory. And we're 25 each plus postage.

Porter does sound good. Maybe I'll have to try a couple different styles this harvest and next year hopefully can nail it

I have just received a cutting of this from hop co a friend bought if for me as a thank you for giving them some of my hop cuttings. how did you go using this hop

I'm interested too. I just got a Red Earth rhizome from Hopco and I'm interested to see what it's like.

Anyone used this hop either from a supplier as flowers/pellets or home grown? Planning to use it like Fuggles at tgist stage.
Cheers

mine is growing ok but no flowers as of yet. a mate of mine found this info
Red Earth was trialled by Birbeck’s Brewing Company over two seasons, owner said on last years trial:

I really like the red, it proved to be an exceptional hop in the beer I brewed with it last year and has again come to the fore with the Alt this year. I really didn't know if it would work with the Alt but it has and it is simply divine. The taste is amazing, one of the best hops I've tasted. It has some lovely flavour and a nice woodiness that works with so many beers. The bitterness isn't harsh so it will work well to bitter and the flavour and aroma is fantastic.

I've used it in an Alt and a California common. the cal common (last year's effort) I think was the better beer. That would also put it in good stead for an American Pale Ale I think with a little help from some Cascade or something.

...and last week after I requested a more detailed description:

I'd have to go back over my notes from the tastings as I haven't had a good crop to play with for a little while. A good descriptor I think is that earthy woody character, over the top of a light citrus. Its a great blend of a number of hop characters. There is a great woody spicy aroma which does come though in the flavour. Like a blend of the best of the Euro/UK hops with some subtle new world character underneath. I recall the aroma is great with that spice, woody and light fruit. such an interesting blend. I'll track down some of my notes and send something through. I dug up mine with a view to moving it to a better spot soon hopefully to get some more growth. It would be good to be able to do a special release beer, once a year using fresh Red Earth. If I had some Red Earth now I'd brew that Cal Common again.

I really hope to get a few flowers this year :D

red earth.jpg

Hops west in wa sold some rhizomes of this breed. I have never heard of of them before but the guys that bought them may be able to comment.

From memory I think the guy selling them said they were like a fuggles, but don't take my word for it, I had a few when he told me.

Cheers for the info. I like to sounds of UK/Euro with a touch of citrus. I have some flowers emerging just now from first year rhizome so not expecting much this year.
Cheers

BenKen25 said:
Half my brain is screaming "BEWARE! DO NOT EAT ME!" the other half is going "Nom, nom, nom". I want some.

ro55c0 said:
Is that seriously what they look like?? Almost worth growing them just for the ornamental value.

lukiferj said:
They look awesome Ben! Keen to hear how they taste.

Camo6 said:
Half my brain is screaming "BEWARE! DO NOT EAT ME!" the other half is going "Nom, nom, nom". I want some.
I belive thats what they look like that was a pic that was also emailed to me from a mate. they look cool i hope i get a few flowers but mine is only a first year plant so fingers crossed

Red Earth was Breed in Western Australia by Rupert Ward we have taken over his business it was bred from a Columbus and crossed with Goldings derived male
cheer from colin and Britt (hops west)

we just brewed our first beer made with Red Earth and wurttemberger it turned into very nice drop ,the hops were picked and straight into the brew (wet hopping ) and if you lucky you can get two pickings from your Red Earth, cheers Colin & Britt

Thanks colin!
Great to hear of the parent stock of Red Earth & it's background.

So is it going to become available to the general public, either as hops or rhizomes?
The pictures of it look fantastic, so i'd be keen to grow it just for ornamental value - though the option of picking lots of yummy flowers is an obvious bonus. A few earlier descriptors for the flavour/aroma sound great!

technobabble66 said:
Thanks colin!
Great to hear of the parent stock of Red Earth & it's background.

So is it going to become available to the general public, either as hops or rhizomes?
The pictures of it look fantastic, so i'd be keen to grow it just for ornamental value - though the option of picking lots of yummy flowers is an obvious bonus. A few earlier descriptors for the flavour/aroma sound great!
I won some on eBay yesterday, from hopswest. Keen to see how they go!

Back