Red Earth Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefeffect

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Did a quick search doesn't seem to be much information on Red Earth Hops has anyone used these or know what they are? Thinking of adding them to my hop garden.

Chef.

Given that Google knows nothing about them, I'd suggest they are either a nursery brand name of ornamental hops, or that you need to provide some additional information about where they are from and what they are. :)

No worries Wolfy,

They are from Hopco from Tasmania, I have sent them an email and am awaiting reply. The discription was

Red Earth - name is derived from the red hues of cones in their early stage of development, (just out of burr stage) and a brewers flavour description of earthy and woody.

I am assuming they would be for pale ales??? I'm looking for something to put in the place of my goldings that didn't survive the first year.

Chef.

If they're from Hopco then it's safe to assume they are for brewing and not ornamental like I guessed. But make sure you update this thread with more information when you have it.

Interestingly, the cones on some of the Chinook rhizomes I sold to a couple of AHB members were red when they started to develop, so ask about the parentage of the variety if you can. ;)

Unfortunately the grower has not got any extra information on this variety, we may need to wait and see if anyone else can give some information...

They have got Super Alpha rhizomes too which is interesting.

Back