Red Alert

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cararaoma will and has for me made great red beers, HOWEVER.....the aroma of that malt does not suit all styles of beer. our name states aroma, it gives an aromatic malt presence to the beer.

Certainly make one with it and get your read on it.

A combination of other malts can do it to:

Mountain Goat India Red Ale Recipe

55% Ale
35% Vienna
7% Shepherds Delight
2% Redback
1% Roast Barley

Pratty1 said:
Cararaoma will and has for me made great red beers, HOWEVER.....the aroma of that malt does not suit all styles of beer.
Such as?

I've found it work well in American PA/IPA/AA and in all kinds of British ales.

Granted I wouldnt use it in a Belgian or German

earle said:
Just rechecked my sour red recipe - was 160g of caraaroma and 60g of shepherds delight

med_gallery_7015_1311_24783.jpg

hmm, I dunno earley.... maybe colour balance on your camera a tad off, i corrected it using what I think should be the coulour of the marble at the rear as the reference and got this:

med_gallery_7015_1311_24783_zpslhz3r3dl.jpg

That's cool Geldy. I further enhanced it and here's what I got. :ph34r:

gallery_7015_1311_13407.jpg

Apologies for not staying inside the lines.

Thanks again guys.

I wish I asked the question before I made my Irish Gold :ph34r: the other day. Maybe I'll post a photo and someone can photoshop it right.

now now early, for all i know you could have started with this lovely looking pale ale:

med_gallery_7015_1311_24783_2_zpsutcomqh6.jpg

but I do understand that this is the ultimate objective:

med_gallery_7015_1311_24783_3_zpsxdeoprlv.jpg

Not really, I wasn't aiming for a bright red beer, rather just reddish hues. There are other malts in there which darken the colour overall, but there is a definite red hue when viewed by eye - no need for colour correction. Point is - red can be achieved in beer with caraaroma and shepherd delight. If I wanted a bright red beer I would use those as well as just very pale base malts. With a good helping of MS paint of course.

After all the hilarity. I found a malt comparison chart and for future reference, Gladfield Shepherd's Delight ~= Caraaroma, and Gladfield Redback ~= Carared.

Hello again. I finally got a chance to brew with the Gladfield Redback.

The beer is an attempt at a Munich Dunkel,
2kg Bestmalz pils
2kg Bestmalz Munich II
1kg Gladfield Redback
100g Simpson's Chocolate

estimated SRM 12-13, which is somewhat less than Beersmith's estimate of ~20. As you can see in the post-boil pic below, it's definitely got a reddish hue to it, and much more attractive than the more greyish brown I usually get at this SRM level.

med_gallery_14620_1279_45022.jpg

Thanks everyone.for the useful advice here! Cheers.

My Red Rye IPA using mostly Gladfield
3.6kg Gladfield Ale
1.0kg Best Rye
0.7kg Gladfield Aurora
0.35kg Gladfield Redback
0.15kg Gladfield Shepherds Delight
SRM 11.8.
Compared to SNPA @ 9.2 SRM, definitely a red hue, happy with it so far, next time may cut back to 11SRM, and no funny business with picture enhancement.

DSC_0291.JPG

Back