Recultured Coopers Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsay Dive

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have been requested by a close friend to see if I could clone a Coopers Sparkling Ale. Even had to go out and buy some Pride of Ringwood.
I purchased a six pack of the famed brew and created a two litre starter using 220 grams of DME. Consumed the six beers by pouring into a glass and then decanting the remaining yeast dregs into the starter.
The yeast kicked into action within two days and the krauesen looked great. I plated some of the yeast and the plate is free of any form of infection.
I made the wort using Marris Otter (only because I had some). Malted Wheat and a little Joe Whites Crystal.
Fermented at 16 17 degrees C. Fermentation is now complete.
Last night I tasted some of this beer, before kegging, by placing some into a PET bottle, force carbonated and refrigerated.
Now for the interesting bit. The beer tastes like a Cooper Sparking Ale, however, I need some fine tuning on the mash temperature (drop down 1 degree) and increase the IBUs by 2 points, BUT, the beer has a slight but definite banana aroma and taste to it.
I have not noticed these banana esters in a Coopers before! Am I wrong?
Has any body experienced these flavour profiles with a recultured Coopers Yeast?
Dont get me wrong, this will be a fine beer but has a slight interesting difference.
Regards,
Lindsay.

perhaps cc it for a week or 2 ?

there was another thread about coopers yeat & banana flavours. cant remember the "result" ...

I can't really help with the cloning but I have drunk plenty of sparkling ale.

The banana esters can be found in the real thing.

Hmmm, will have to go and buy some more and see if I can identify the banana esters.
Side by side comparison won't go astray either!
Lindsay.

How old is your beer? I ferment with Coopers yeast a lot at the moment and find the banana flavours are often quite prominent when the beer is fresh, but mellow quickly and become barely noticable.

It will disappear after about 3/4 weeks in a bottle conditioned version,diacetyl is a characteristic of this yeast in its early stages but also disappears in the 3rd or 4th week.
Personally i like the banana'ery character,its redolent of a "wheaty",and I'm partial to a weizen :beer:

Sean said:
How old is your beer? I ferment with Coopers yeast a lot at the moment and find the banana flavours are often quite prominent when the beer is fresh, but mellow quickly and become barely noticable.
[post="77793"][/post]​
Sean,
I kegged the beer last Fiday. However, I took 1.25 mls (coke ottle) gassed, chilled and sampled the beer then.
What I see from your and Brauluver's post, the flavours I'm getting are normal for a beer so fresh.
Thanks for the replies.
Lindsay.

It definately will mellow out. I did a sparkling ale clone using this yeast and left it in the keg for about 3 weeks and it is now great.

Back