Recultured Coopers yeast - better to wash trub or make fresh starter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyfozzers

Reaction score
As post title really. I have a brew on at the moment using recultured CPA yeast, and will want to use the same yeast in my next brew (or maybe the one after that). I have seen some advice against 'recycling' yeast too many times but, to my mind, the yeast I have in my fermenter is fresher than what's sat in the bottom of the Pale longnecks in the kitchen.

I'm tending towards scooping some trub out when I bottle, washing with cooled boiled water, then pitching that directly into the next brew (after storing in the fridge for a day or so). Is this approach sound, or should I just make up a new starter with bottle dregs?

Finally, if I do wash the trub and keep the yeast, is it OK to pitch that slurry directly, or should I be making another starter from that slurry?

When you have finished bottling, gently swirl the trub at the bottom of the fermenter around into a homologous solution.

Then opene the tap, tilt the fermenter and fill a sanatised 250ml vessel. Store this in the fridge - use it within a week as a direct pitch for a 20-25L batch.

Yeah, so long as your ferment went/goes OK, the yeast will be far more suitable to another fermentation than bottle yeast.

Ferment seems to have gone OK. Yeast got my pale ale from 1039 all the way down to 1007 so I think it's done it's job, although it did get pretty stinky for a day or two.

Back