Recording Your Brews - What Do You Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3GumsBrewing

Reaction score
Hi all, I was just wondering what you all use to recode your brews, I have up until now just been writing them down in a log book, but I would like to find something on the PC that I can record the brews in. I am a bit of an excel nut so I was going to have a go at it myself, but I thought I might see if anyone else has already got a system they might like to share.

Cheers
David

The brewing programs like Promash & Beersmith can record your recipes

Jovial Monk

I use Beersmith now but used to use a basic excel file. It worked fine.

Good luck,

Shawn.

I can thoroughly recommend either BeerSmith or StrangeBrew as excellent brewing software. Promash is also an excellent program but I find the interface is a tad clunky. There are too many screens open and while everything works well it is less intuitive than SB or BS.

All of the programs mentioned can be downloaded and trialed for up to 21 days or longer.

If you run Linux Qbrew does a great job as well but doesn't have all of the features of the ones above.

For any software to function well for you put in the time to understand how to set up your equipment values and evapouration rates. Without accurate water useage you will never get satisactory outcomes. Regardless of the software.

Software can help you to become a better brewer only when you input good data.

You don't need to know every formula behind the software, but as you become familiar with the calculation process you wil better comprehend why x amount of grain with y amount of water and hops = beer :chug:

Steve

Promash = the original and the best, it's updated with outstanding features, always long before the 'jonnycomelatelyclones' :)

tdh

Hi David,
Maybe its "pushed" in the Ballarat course, but all the (few) brewers working in Micros (like TDH above) that I have ever managed to talk to all use Promash. And I figure that 'What's good for the Goose....'

Cheers!

I do a combination of both.
Being in IT and knowing computers I feel a hard copy of important items like brewing recipes is required.
I use Promash for brewing software but have also created a brew sheet that I write all the details down on during the brew day and file away in a binder.
You can find my brewsheet in this topic

Beers,
Doc

ProMash. It's the program that is in use in hundreds of micros around the world.

tried both promash and beersmith. liked beersmith better as it seemed more user friendly, but bought promash. dont ask why. pretty happywith promash, but beersmith seemed easier to use (for begginers at least).
joe

beersmith - simple minds like ease of use.

i will tip the scales in favour of beersmith.used to log every brew into a large diary type book.looked at both promash and beersmith and a few others.
chiller in s.a gave me a demo and run down on beersmith and i was impressed.purchased a copy and havent looked back.

promash is for people who think they can brew. :p ;)

cheers
big d

Doc
Being in IT and knowing computers I feel a hard copy of important items like brewing recipes is required.
I use Promash for brewing software but have also created a brew sheet that I write all the details down on during the brew day and file away in a binder.
You can find my brewsheet in this topic

I use Promash, though a hard copy is on the cards. Bad time of year for my computers, lost a video card and a motherboard to the computer gods, now my laptop after years of excellent service is starting to go south. :eek: Whatever you use a backup (hard and soft) is a good idea.

Jason

I purchased Promash a couple of years ago and was quite happy with that :) , This year I gave Beersmith a demo and bought the program :D , I only use Beersmith now, It is easier to use, simpler to view and has just as many features as promash, but you don't need to do a uni course ;) to be able to understand it.

Andrew

I use BeerSmith, could not recommend it highly enough. Back up all my recipes on disc.

C&B
TDA

Beersmith for me

I like it much better than promash , do only real brewers use beersmith ? :lol:

Sorry :ph34r:

Batz

Batz said:
Beersmith for me

I like it much better than promash , do only real brewers use beersmith ? :lol:

Sorry :ph34r:

Batz
:lol: :lol: Batz

Why not start a poll? :ph34r: :lol: :ph34r:

Beersmith users of the world unite!

Shawn.

I have been brewing for 6 months now, and I use excel. I have a running total of how many litres I have made, cost per batch(per longneck), and other particulars.

I've got my own MS-Access database that I built when I started brewing K&K and am now upgrading it for AG brewing. It's great cause I can query anything in the database as I built an SQL generator into it.

Back