Reconditioning Kegs Query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wm460

Reaction score
After a very long break in brewing I am getting back into it.

I printed out MHB excellent tutorial on servicing kegs, when I went to do it I found the post are competently different.

https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/servicing-australian-keg-posts.90225/
Apart from the O ring is there any thing else to service?

P4130039.JPG
P4130037.JPG

Yes, the "poppet" has an O ring, and the dip tube has a seal/washer/o ring, MHB is your man for this but as best I can tell from your pic's grip the post firmly and wiggle/waggle the tube out of it, then putting the post on a flat surface tap down (with a hammer and nail punch or nail) onto the poppet (the little round metal thing in the middle of the post top) and it should drop down revealing it's O ring.

Ya that's the American type post. Mostly its easier to replace the whole poppet, the poppet doesn't have an O-Ring, it has a little flat washer called a Top Hat, just like the one used in the Australian posts.
Any good home brew shop should be able to help you out with either whole poppets or top hat washers, the post O-Ring is the same as the Aussie one. There is another O-Ring around the dip-tube and the short tube under the gas post as above.
There is another option, at least one of the "King" shops has a universal poppet that's pretty cheap, these do have O-Rings so they can be serviced later.
Might be well worth investing in a few for ron, grab a couple of each of the other O-Rings while your at it.
Mark

1587033297132.png

Thanks for your answers, is there any difference between the poppet in your post and these?

IMG_0102.JPG

Looking for my fermenting gear I found a small package postmark 2014 :oops: in it there was 2 poppets like this and a mob of O rings and lid seals.

On the short and long stainless keg dip tubes the O rings are square om the out side edge, can I use normal O rings?

Last edited:
Where can I get the nut inside the lid that holds the PVR on?
I can find any in home brew websites.

P4130038.JPG

Three of the kegs are the same as above.

The forth one is like this, how do you service there?

IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0105.JPG

My other 3 kegs have a different type of post. Is this Australian?

How do I remover these?

P4130041.JPG
P4130042.JPG

1/ The poppet I pictured is a much cheaper version of the poppet you have there, the ones you have should do the job. The square dip-tube O-Ring can be replaced with a round one.
2/ I think I saw a couple of replacement nuts in the box of keg service parts at Brewman last time I was looking for some parts, give him a call.
The PRV should just unscrew, grab the keyring bit and twist, often just need a clean (both the face and the seat) a bit of lube and replace, if necessary the whole PRV is replaceable.
3/ American and a ring spanner works on them, if not multigrips are the go to tool.
Hope that helps
Mark

Thanks Mark, with the two spare poppets I had and two spare O rings? in a bag of O rings,seals etc, I have two kegs ready to rock and roll.

Latest posts

Back