Recommended Licenced Electricians?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowanb

Reaction score
I have a temp mate which needs wiring ( http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2592 ) and I'm looking for an electrician, preferably in my local area. My main concern is to find someone who will do a professional job. I live in the inner-west of Sydney, in Annandale (though I'd hop on the train/bus to go further afield if necessary).

Anyone you might recommend?

thanks
rowan

Might be a good chance for a Recommended (brewer friendly and reasonably priced) Tradies list. Maybe Dane could set this up like the recipe database, individuals could enter tradies for their area, sparkies, fridgies etc and allow rating like recipes.

Good idea, or dumb idea, your thoughts brewers!

Screwy

Screwtop

I'd find such a list useful - (in fact I looked for one on the forum site)

rowan

Sparkies and Plumbers list. That'd rock!

Perhaps we could have a brewer friendly doctors list also for when people have yeast allergies or when the kidneys and liver start to give out.

Good to get a friendly, supportive medical opinion to to refute my wife's assertion that I drink too much.

;)

Kev

these things are really easy to wire. I have no 'electrical' experience at all, but had no problems doing this.

these things are really easy to wire. I have no 'electrical' experience at all, but had no problems doing this.

The problem is not whether it works, but how safe it is to use. Possible to wire up an element to use for your HLT that will work fine and heat water, won't kill you till you touch it when the controller is on.

That's right kiddies, 240V is dangerous mmkay. Unless you are trained or at the very least fully understand what you are doing and how to do it, 240V should not be messed with.

In the end it can kill you or someone else who uses the unit.

:icon_cheers: SJ

Its a bit more than just getting the right colours in the right holes.
There is also termination techniques that are important to make the unit safe and reliable.
Unless you are doing this sort of stuff all the time, its easy to do a sub-standard job.

Might be a good chance for a Recommended (brewer friendly and reasonably priced) Tradies list. Maybe Dane could set this up like the recipe database, individuals could enter tradies for their area, sparkies, fridgies etc and allow rating like recipes.

Good idea, or dumb idea, your thoughts brewers!

Screwy

+1 Lets do it. Would be a great source of info.

Doesnt have to be limited to tradies, could list:

- LHBS
- electrical suppliers
- plumbing suppliers
- tradies
- micros
- good bottle shops
- anything else that may be of interest to HB'ers

just make sure you get express permission to list their details first. otherwise you might pester someone into not helping any of us

That's right kiddies, 240V is dangerous mmkay. Unless you are trained or at the very least fully understand what you are doing and how to do it, 240V should not be messed with.

In the end it can kill you or someone else who uses the unit.

:icon_cheers: SJ

Its a bit more than just getting the right colours in the right holes.
There is also termination techniques that are important to make the unit safe and reliable.
Unless you are doing this sort of stuff all the time, its easy to do a sub-standard job.

Both very good replies.
My brother in law - nice bloke but not too practical - hooked up his surround sound, but it didn't work too well. I had a look behind and while he'd connected the speakers to the right holes, he'd stripped back the insulation on the wires about 6 inches, so everything was shorting out. I'd hate to see him do work with 240V.

Perhaps we could have a brewer friendly doctors list also for when people have yeast allergies or when the kidneys and liver start to give out.

Good to get a friendly, supportive medical opinion to to refute my wife's assertion that I drink too much.

You forgot to mention Pancreatitis (spelling?). I've had it from drinking too much home made Mango wine. :angry:

That's well and good, but it comes down to recognising what an appropriately good wire termination is, applying correct shielding and insulation principals to the job and ability to recognise and incorporate workmanship to prevent potential future wiring failures that may cause fire or electrical shocks.

Thanks to everyone who replied. It was a useful discussion, though I'm still seeking a recommendation - prefer someone local (inner-west, Sydney) but otherwise further away would be fine. Otherwise I suppose I could just try one of the contracting companies in the area.

bye
rowan

Thanks to everyone who replied. It was a useful discussion, though I'm still seeking a recommendation - prefer someone local (inner-west, Sydney) but otherwise further away would be fine. Otherwise I suppose I could just try one of the contracting companies in the area.

bye
rowan

Maybe there is a local brewer with electrical knowledge/experience that can help you ??

Latest posts

Back