Recommended cordless drill for a grain mill & Whirlpool Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaveFun

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been on the hunt for a cordless drill to use it for a grain mill and for the grainfather whirlpool paddle.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Cheers
Stefan

I don't personally own one but I hear very good things about Ryobi cordless for the price from Bunnings, I've had good experiences with Ryobi's other gear too.
All my cordless stuff is Milwaukee which is great but on the expensive side if you're just after it for the one purpose.
Good luck with the search mate.

You need a good bit if torque to drive a grain mill. I burned out the first corded one on my first batch of grain through my mill. Returned it and got the ozito spade handle drill one that everyone here likes. It has about it 10 times the torque. Not sure how a cordless one would go.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-1050w-spade-handle-drill_p6290522

Edit: corrected model of drill and added link

Last edited:
You need a good bit if torque to drive a grain mill. I burned out the first corded one on my first batch of grain through my mll. Returned it and got the ozito paint stirrer one that everyone here like. It has about it 10 times the torque. Not sure how a cordless one would go.

don’t have to be cordless i will check out the ozito paint stirrer

they are $109 at bunnings

I have a bosch blue cordless so have used that occasionally and it works fine.
But to be honest I'm getting the LHBS to mill the bulk of it.
They'll sell me decimals of a kilo so why not.

Don't buy the paint stirrer, it does not have a chuck. The model you want is the spade handle drill.

And yes, a cordless is unlikely to be the right choice for a grain mill. It'll probably do for whirlpooling.

Have used a ryobi 24v cordless for over 3 years to mill my own grain. Never had an issue with it.

I have an AEG that I use for handy man stuff , this also doubles as my grain mill drill , gutsy and no issues

Don't buy the paint stirrer, it does not have a chuck. The model you want is the spade handle drill.

And yes, a cordless is unlikely to be the right choice for a grain mill. It'll probably do for whirlpooling.
Out of interest, any difference between choosing the $39 one and the $49 one?
The only significant difference i can see is I *think* the $49 one has (all?) metal gears, which i assume is good, but not sure what the gears in the cheaper one are, plastic i'm guessing.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/compare?products=6290621,6290655,

Out of interest, any difference between choosing the $39 one and the $49 one?
The only significant difference i can see is I *think* the $49 one has (all?) metal gears, which i assume is good, but not sure what the gears in the cheaper one are, plastic i'm guessing.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/compare?products=6290621,6290655,
These look like the one that burnt out on one batch of grain. Plastic or metal gears won't make a difference when the motor burns out.

Fortunately I got a refund so I just had to pay the difference to upgrade to something that could handle the job. Good ole' bunnings return policy. Shouldv'e seen the look on the guys face when he plugged it in, pulled the trigger and it made a massive buzzing/arcing sound. He was keen to test it though.

This is the one https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-1050w-spade-handle-drill_p6290522

Yes, that's the one - high torque & low speed which makes it ideal for powering a grain mill.
Yep, can't remember where I saw the figure but about 120nm of torque compared to a lot of other drills which have around 10-20nm.

we-just-need-more-power.jpg

drill.JPG

I've been using the ozito spade handle for about 4 years now, great piece of kit for the price. Also it's got a keyed chuck. The key lives in a rubber holder "star" next to the handle. Never buy a keyless chuck drill for milling, you'll spend half your life tightening the thing up during a crush.
minimill.jpg

+1 Ozito Spade

dont run it backwards in a grain mill the torque it drives could upset the earths rotation.... :)

Fricken powerful drill for the price, i have use it to drill plenty of holes in all sorts of stuff and run my mill

I use a spider coupling to join it to the mill

All these pictured with the D and side handles attached make me think I should actually attach mine. I don't have mine mounted but hold by hand to power my corona style mill. Due to the size and the torque the handles would make that easier.

Never buy a keyless chuck drill for milling, you'll spend half your life tightening the thing up during a crush.

Beg to differ. Never had an issue with tightening my keyless chucked ryobi during a crush, and there's no key to lose, so that's a bonus

Most cordless drills will be fine.

Buy whatever your budget will permit. It's only milling grain, not driving M16 - 200mm coach screws into hardwood.

Most modern 18v Li-Ion cordless drills will have more than enough torque for a home brew size grain mill. You don't want them running fast though, so go for one with 2 speeds. I've got a reasonably old now Bosch Blue cordless, has no issues crewing through whatever I throw at it, keyless locking chuck grips and doesn't give up until I unlock it, run it at about half trigger in low gear. This also has the added advantage of being able to be used as a drill, for you know, drilling stuff.

Back