Recommendations For The States Trip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clutch

Brew your own beer, you'll save money.
Reaction score
I'm heading over with three mates in July for two weeks. Stone, Rogue, Sierra Nevada, Green Flash and Anchor tours are already planned, with trip to Goose Island in Chicago and Dogfish Head in Delaware scheduled as well.
What I'm after though is some recommendations for the smaller breweries that I've probably not heard of, ones where I'll get a chance to maybe talk to the brewers themselves, not just take a group tour.Any ideas?

I'm heading over with three mates in July for two weeks. Stone, Rogue, Sierra Nevada, Green Flash and Anchor tours are already planned, with trip to Goose Island in Chicago and Dogfish Head in Delaware scheduled as well.
What I'm after though is some recommendations for the smaller breweries that I've probably not heard of, ones where I'll get a chance to maybe talk to the brewers themselves, not just take a group tour.Any ideas?

Take a brewery tour somewhere when you get home, surprisingly beers made the same way everywhere.

Spend your 2 weeks enjoying what the states has to offer, like the Sierra Nevada, ranges not brewery, Hetch Hetchie and Yosemite while in the area, enjoy the availablity
of beers while your there but dont turn it into a 2 week search for tanks of steel in big buildings. Much better things to do.

As for hoping to talk to brewers you can do that locally and they wont be yankees.

Are you one of the types that has to have everything planned? If so you will not like my suggestion.

Wait till you get there and ask around. Some mighty fine breweries are so small no one but the locals know about them.

I also like the idea of taking in the sights. You can set in the lodge at Yosemite and drink a Sierra or even a better brew.

The big advantage to visiting breweries is getting to sample small run beers and seeing the fine details of how they work. If you hit the right day you may even be able to set in on a sensory session where they taste test the beer. About as good of a chance as winning the lottery while you are here but worth a try. Course if you are a beer geek then visiting is more about all the stuff they have in the gift shop.

Good to hear you are coming to check out Sierra Nevada ( my neck of the woods) about an hour away from Redding Ca. There are three that I would recommend 1. Would be Lagunitas Brewery in Petaluma Ca. Great tasting Big beers (to many to list) with tasting before tour guaranteed good time.
2. Mt Shasta Brewery located in Weed CA. About a 2 hour drive From Sierra Nevada brewery in Chico Ca. Vaune Dilman is owner of Mt Shasta Brewery and a Nice Guy our brew club went up there(Shasta society of Brewers) and Brewed had a great time.
3. Etna Brewing Co. in Etna CA. Has a Great Blackberry porter probably an hour to an hour and a half drive from Weed Ca.

I booked 2 weeks in Hawaii yesterday for the end of June :)
Most beer anywhere in the US is worth drinking IMO

Whilst going to breweries is a lot fun don't rule out going to beer bars, the best of which have amazing selections of beer. In San Francisco Toronado, Monk's Kettle and City Beer (a small bottlO with beers on tap) are all well worth a visit as well as Beer Revolution in Oakland. As for breweries Russian River and Lagunitas are both sensational - for my money two of the best I've ever been to.

San Diego is a pain to get around if you don't have a car. It's big and spread out, there's not a lot of public transport and when I was there it was not uncommon for taxis to not show up. I'd much rather drink in Portland. As for breweries in SD, all the Pizza Ports are worth a look, Ballast Point (there location near hotel circle is a homebrew store/tasting room and Sculpin tastes great fresh), Alesmith is open on weekends and it's better than Green Flash, and Alpine Brewing are all worth a visit. Stone is a bit of a drive north and I found it to be a bit sterile. Not too far from Stone is Lost Abbey which is in an industrial area and it is a great place to visit. If you have time check out Churchill's, it's not too far from Lost Abbey - it's in an industrial shithole and it looks like a dump from the outside but it's a great pub. As for other beer bars in SD, Neighbourhood Bar in the cbd, Hamiltons and Toronado all have great beer selections.

If you have time spare a few days at least for Portland. For my money it's the best city in the USA for drinking beer. It's easy to get around, has good public trasnport (which is free depending on where you are) and has the highest density of craft breweries in the US (I think). You could spend two weeks in Portland alone drinking beer, it's that good. Deshutes, Hair of the Dog, Full Sail Brewing, Hopworks and Laurelwood are all well worth a visit. As for beer bars Bailey's Tap Room, Saraveza, Horse Brass and Belmont Station are all worth checking out as well. Shopping in Portland is good too because there is no state tax.

My number 1 recommendation for small brewpubs in the US has to be Walking Man, in Stevenson, Washington State. It's about a 45 minute drive out of Portland, which is very scenic, weather permitting. You would want to check the opening hours before you head out though, some days it's not open (maybe Monday and Tuesdays?) and when it is the hours may only be 4pm-9pm. There's 10 beers on tap, including my all time favourite Jay Walker. The beers are very good. The food is good too, any place that double fires their chips is quality.

In San Francisco ... Monk's Kettle ... As for breweries Russian River and Lagunitas are both sensational - for my money two of the best I've ever been to.
Was in Monk's Kettle a few months ago and second the suggestion. Same for Russian River and Lagunitas. Haven't been the Lagunitas' brewery but their range is largely excellent. The tasting paddle at Russian River is a sight to behold.

If you're going to Yosemite, drive over the Tioga Pass and head to Mammoth Brewing Co in Mammoth CA. Their IPA 395 is really good and uses some local ingredients.

Personally, my recommendation would be to check out Surly Brew Co. Just love the marriage of heavy music and beer. Plus, they make some pretty crazy beers.

In Portland you have to go to Upright Brewing, those guys are amazing. I second Hair of the Dog and I liked Deschutes more than Rogue. Grain and Gristle is a pretty decent bar too.

If you can make it to Seattle, Fremont Brewing is great too. The owner is super friendly and generous with his beer and info.

Personally, my recommendation would be to check out Surly Brew Co. Just love the marriage of heavy music and beer. Plus, they make some pretty crazy beers.

Yes and they package in a 100% lightproof container...cans.

They are only a 45 minute drive from my house

If your anywhere near LA/Anaheim - The Bruery.
And a great beer city maybe being overshadowed by the big guns such as Portland etc. - Philadelphia. Many great beer bars serving beers fom Pennsylvania breweries (Victory, Troegs, etc). And an awesome city full stop (centrally anyway, I didnt venture into the badlands). Can give more info if your going there. Its very convenient on as east coast visit (close to New York, DC etc).

Wow guys, there's some good info here, thank you very much.

Rush River Brewery is another new warehouse building brewery

in River Falls Wisconsin. It's a college, party town. 9 bars within stumbling distance
www.rushriverbeer.com

If you are going to Delaware you will pass through Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. You must experience the Hofbrauhaus. The beer is good at best but the crowd is insane. (It is an official franchise of the German company. Not a cheap knock-off)

There are many brew pubs, micros and a couple old breweries in the Pittsburgh area. It is a mountain city so it is hard to get places without a GPS.

If you go to Washington State visit Fish Brewery in Olympia and talk to Brad Shell. Top bloke. Tell him Dogs sent you.

If you get to Seattle, take a day to journey East of Seattle in the town of Redmond, you will find Black Raven, one of the best small breweries anywhere. They have a solid stable of regular beers, and Beaux is always springing some limited-run tasty treats every few weeks it seems. About a klik away is the excellent bottleshop Malt and Vine, and a bit farther is Mac & Jack.

Im a frequent traveller to the US and have to say if you're just chasing some really good, different brews, you don't have to turn your trip into a beer trail search.

Most bars will have a good APA or IPA available, Weizens are pretty popular now and you can generally find most styles at most bars. The sports bars have (generally) less range available.

As far as regions go, New England is beautiful, lots to do and there are some great places to go drinking:

http://www.allstonsfinest.com/allstonsfine...ill&tap.swf

This place is pretty good, 112 beers on tap and 380 more in bottles (even our own Coopers Pale makes the list). Of the 112, they're split into styles and there are some great ones there from all over the world.

Seattle on the Pacific Northwest is also another great place to visit. LOTS of microbrews available at pretty much all bars. The 5 Points Cafe is a 24hr bar that plays good music , has good food and friendly locals. You can even view the Space Needle via a periscope above the urinal in the guys toilets - no need to leave the bar!

Have fun! :D

Heaps of good beer bars there too.
Its not uncommon to have 20-30 craft beers on tap, some have over 100.
Found one in central San Francisco which had 80 on tap. 1.5 blocks south on powell st from union square. Part of Loris diner.
San Diegio has the Yardhouse, corner 4th and broardway. there are a few of them in different cities, I think theu had 100+ beers on tap.
Cannery Row Brewing Co in Monterey had 80 or so. They are not a brewery, just a pub.

Back