Recommendations For A Malty Esb/pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi,

I've made a few different AG English Pale Ale/ESBs however none have come out as well as I'd have liked. I'm looking for something with more of a malt focus rather than something hop-driven.

I guess what I'm looking for is something of a counterpart to Dr Smurto's GA but only English and maltier (if that makes sense!).

Any recipe suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris

If brewing all grain use Maris Otter for your base malt with around 5% crystal. Playing around with a higher final gravity, which can be achieved with a higher mash temp, will give more body.

If your kit, steep a good amount of crystal malt in the wort, and try using a good yeast with less attenuation.

If you are looking for a nice maltyness I have had good results with Wyeast 1968 ESB.

I have never used the west yorkshire ale 1469 but people here rave about it as well.

As already mentioned a simple malt bill, make sure you use all English malt.

Happy days

I have just used 1469 in a couple of brews and it definitely brings out a malty flavour

Hi,

I've made a few different AG English Pale Ale/ESBs however none have come out as well as I'd have liked. I'm looking for something with more of a malt focus rather than something hop-driven.

I guess what I'm looking for is something of a counterpart to Dr Smurto's GA but only English and maltier (if that makes sense!).

Any recipe suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris

Try [post="0"]Dr Smurto's Landlord[/post] with 1968 (or 1496 if available).

It is a bloody good ESB ;)

JD

Thanks for the advice. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

80% Maris Otter
10% Medium Crystal
10% Invert Sugar

Challenger (bittering)
EKG (aromatic)

1.050 OG
35 IBUs

Wyeast 1469

I'm curious as to what Styrians add as they seem to be used in English recipes quite often.

Cheers,

Chris

Really nice orange citrus character - goes well with challenger (marmaladey). Used in a lot of Belgian styles too.

If you use a simpsons or TF crystal rather than a wey or JW type, you'll get more of the UK in it.

I'm curious as to what Styrians add as they seem to be used in English recipes quite often.

Cheers,

Chris

Styrians seem to add awesomeness to my beers :)
I have brewed 3 AG english bitters so far with Marris Otter base,
1st) All Hops were challenger
2nd) All hops were styrians (good drop)
3rd) Fuggles @ 60, Styrians at 15 and No chill. <- just kegged this one and it is a corker (i think :icon_cheers: ), details below.

M/O 5kg
Heritage Crystal 280g
Carafa 2 50g

Fuggles @ 60 15-16 IBU
Styrians @ 15 10 IBU.

27L batch size.

I'd also consider using Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise. TBH, lately the TF Marris Otter hasn't matched it for malty character, at least the stuff I've been using (TF1 MO) has been fairly ordinary (that could be more to do with packaging and handling IMO). However, just about any UK malt should help, I find the Barrett Burston Ale doesn't quite cut it along side them, its a bit doughy/ bready, nice malt in many ales, but just doesn't have the depth of malty flavour required in British ales.
Styrian is the sharper more pungent citrus aromatic IMO (more like the as opposed to juice), used late in TTL/ DSL along with GP and 1469 where you get a choice stonefruit, citrus and slightly resinous character- really is a delicious combo! :icon_drool2:
My 2c, HTH! :icon_cheers:

Styrians seem to add awesomeness to my beers :)
I have brewed 3 AG english bitters so far with Marris Otter base,
1st) All Hops were challenger
2nd) All hops were styrians (good drop)
3rd) Fuggles @ 60, Styrians at 15 and No chill. <- just kegged this one and it is a corker (i think :icon_cheers: ), details below.

M/O 5kg
Heritage Crystal 280g
Carafa 2 50g

Fuggles @ 60 15-16 IBU
Styrians @ 15 10 IBU.

27L batch size.

Your recipe looks like the Dr's Landlord original crossed with his update, sort of. Either way, I'm not surprised it's a corker. I'm looking forward to getting a couple kegs filled with one of these brews.

Styrian is the sharper more pungent citrus aromatic IMO (more like the as opposed to juice)
Too late to edit, that should be: more like the zest as opposed to juice.

Look up Mooloo Bitter in the recipies. This ones a cracker. I've done it with 1318 and it came out really well balanced although 1469 will work a treat as well. This one has a lovely caramel undertone from the extra reduction of a portion of the unhopped wort.

Just wondering about the aromatic hop additions - should I use a combination of Styrians and EKG or only one? If both, what would be typical IBU/addition times?

Challenger, EKG and styrians will all work and all will complement each other so that really is something for you to decide. If you don't know what each hop brings then maybe just pick 1 for flavour and aroma (and dry hop if you intend to) so you know how to tweak for next time.

To my palate all give various citrus notes and all work together.

Your recipe looks like the Dr's Landlord original crossed with his update, sort of. Either way, I'm not surprised it's a corker. I'm looking forward to getting a couple kegs filled with one of these brews.

In case it is a cracker, i best get a name for it!

To the OP
If you are unsure about the flavors you are searching for.
Pick a couple of different hops and make a few brews using just that hop.

95% English ale malt
5% crystal
Hop of choice 60 / small addition later on.

Keep the yeast choice consistent across the brews so you are only changing 1 variable at a time.

You will make a good beer each time and you will soon learn what you like.

Cheers,
D80

Back