Recommendation for Lager K&K Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmoney

Reaction score
Good morning

Given the current cold weather in Melbourne at the moment, I am looking to put down a nice little K&K Lager. I tend to use Coopers and BE2 with added hops in my brews so haven't ventured too far as yet. Any thoughts on Kits and bits that I could try?

I reckon if you are a fan of coopers you could try a coopers "original" lager or a coopers European lager but use some saflager w-34/70 yeast. It's an expensive yeast for a dry yeast but if you properly rehydrate and pitch 2 packs of it you will have a strong and healthy lager ferment that will probably be done in about a week if fermented at 12 degrees. Use one of the brew enhancers or better a kilo of dry or liquid malt extract. Then try dry hopping with a german noble hop like Hallertauer. If aged properly a beer like this can turn out very good.

I was looking for extract pilsner recipes last week and found some K&K recipes that might be good...
No idea at all if they are any good, but you can at least use my googling!

TC Coopers Pilsner kit 1.7kg,
Light Dry Malt Powder 1kg,
Dry Wheat Malt Powder 100gms,
CaraPils grain 150gms,
CaraMalt or Light Crystal grain 100gms,
Dextrose 100gms,
Nelson Sauvin hops 15gms for 5mins,
Nelson Sauvin hops 25gms @ flameout (30min post boil steep).
Fermentis W34/70 lager yeast 11gms + kit yeast 7gms brewed to 23 litres.
Pitch the yeast in the high teens, & gradually reduce the wort temp to 13°C over a period of 4-5 hours, & leave to primary ferment for 3 weeks before bottling.

Coopers Liquid Malt Extract 1kg
Briess Pilsen Liquid Malt Extract 750gms
Light Dry Malt Extract 400gms
Wheat Dry Malt Extract 250gms
Vienna Malt Grain 1kg mashed @ 67°C
CaraPils Malt Grain 250gms mashed @ 67°C.
Saaz hops (5.5%AA) 40gms @ 60mins
Saaz hops 15gms @ 15mins
Spalt hops (4.8%AA) 25gms @ 2mins
Wyeast 2000 Budvar Lager yeast
Yeast pitched @ 16°C & slowly reduced to ferment @ 9-10°C for a period of 3 weeks.
Brewed to 23 litres.
OG = approx. 1.050
FG = approx. 1.014
EBC = approx. 6.5
IBU = approx. 28.5
Bottled ABV = approx. 5.2%

Last edited:
If in a hurry for a drink then avoid the Coopers European Lager as it recommended to be left in the bottle for 12 weeks before consumption.

In my K n K days I found a really brilliant and dead simple lager was just two cans of Coopers Original Series Lager. Full stop. Use one yeast only as it can be volcanic.

It turns out a bit more "chewy" as opposed to using BE or sugars but this is nicely balanced by the extra bittering. Also being all malt it's drinkable far sooner than the sugared version.

Last edited:
I was lucky and came across a tin of Thomas Cooper Heritage Lager (use by July 2017). Been in the fermenter for a week now with tin of Coopers light malt extract at 17 degrees.
Never had it before, others?

image.jpg
I'm a fan of Morgan's QLD lager.
Here is my diary page of the last one.

I was lucky and came across a tin of Thomas Cooper Heritage Lager (use by July 2017). Been in the fermenter for a week now with tin of Coopers light malt extract at 17 degrees.
Never had it before, others?
Hi Grott,used to love the Heritage Lager,1k LME and a bit of corn syrup.Most of the times it came up trumps but this was before the discovery of temp control,some batches were a little bit harder to drink(more the brewer,not the product).Good luck,Rob.

Back