Recommend Me A Step Drill Bit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad81

Reaction score
Personally, I've had zero luck with those step bits. Some people swear by them, I just swear at them.

Get yourself a good quality hole saw or hole saw kit with a decent arbor and you'll chew through the aluminium with very little burring as long as you use a suitable lubricant (WD-40 is what I've used).

Cheers

I'm trying to keep my outlay to a minimum mate, if I can get this for under $50ish, then I can handle some swearing. Thanks for the tip on the WD40, seen it mentioned a few times already. That stuff is liquid gold.

I'm trying to keep my outlay to a minimum mate, if I can get this for under $50ish, then I can handle some swearing. Thanks for the tip on the WD40, seen it mentioned a few times already. That stuff is liquid gold.
A TCT holesaw from KegKing will cost about $30, they cut through stainless with ease as per: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=918973
So I'm sure they'll have no problems with your Aluminum pot, and likely last a lifetime.

Definitely some varied results with these - I've been lucky with one from Bunnings, done at least 6 keg holes and 5 other stainless holes and it's as good as new. Never use any lubricant either. I use a battery drill so it's not to powerful, maybe that's the trick....

Any decent brand hole saw from masters/bunnings should be under $50 and will last forever.

Did buy one of the keg king hole saws, but the shaft was bent slightly. Never used it and returned it for a better brand.

Cheers

I've been using a $26 step bit from the big green shed & it works a treat. 30mm hole for the element took just over 5 minutes

Low speed, moderate pressure, drill a pilot hole first & use cutting fluid.

Admittedly I've only drilled 4 holes with it so far, but it seems to be holding up well

IMG_1176.JPG

I'd cut mine with step bits with no lube. Of course I cursed a lot! Was cutting a mate's last weekend and he had SS cutting paste. Made a world of difference. I got a set of cobalt coated bits off eBay USA.
IMO, what they suck at is cutting large holes as the more the material you have to cut, the more heat they generate. Getting to 1/2" in Al should be a piece of cake!

Well the hole saws sound the goods. So I can safely get away with a 20mm, and I already have a dremel.

Thanks for the links all!

Hey slightly late chip in here Brad but I reckon you're on the right track with the step drill through aluminium it'll go through like butter and deburr most of your hole too.
Wouldn't bother with cutting fluid on a hole that small in aluminium.
FWIW I've got one of these from Bordo. It cost over $100 and has done a LOT of work. Cuts like the day I bought it - just remember to let the drill do the work, don't force it.

Bought a step drill bit from bunnings (not sure what brand, blue body), cuts fine through SS and ally. As most people have said, go slow, real slow, and use cutting fluid.

Well the hole saws sound the goods. So I can safely get away with a 20mm, and I already have a dremel.
Thanks for the links all!

Step drills & hole saws are good for lots of stuff but if on a budget or not mark out the hole on your aluminium\ss pot in pencil, centre-pop the centre & circumference, then drill out with the biggest bit your drill will take (1\2"??).
Get yourself an appropriate-sized half-round second cut file & file to the marks, remove burrs. Too easy!
Powertools aren't always the answer.

TP

Yeah, but Pete, I have one pot. I'd rather not faff it up.

I am not that handy (neither are most of my mates). I can add this one to the budget, because I can ensure it's done properly.

I'm sure given a few years to build confidence, your solution would be more appealing B)

Step drills & hole saws are good for lots of stuff but if on a budget or not mark out the hole on your aluminium\ss pot in pencil, centre-pop the centre & circumference, then drill out with the biggest bit your drill will take (1\2"??).
Get yourself an appropriate-sized half-round second cut file & file to the marks, remove burrs. Too easy!
Powertools aren't always the answer.

TP

Spoken like a true (if not more senior) fitter. :lol: :lol:

Cheers

I used some old spade bits to make various holes in aluminium ... i wouldn't recommend it !!

Back