Recommend Me A Recipe Using Brewcraft Munich Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendos

Reaction score
As the title states looking for a great recipe to use a brewcraft munich lager.
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Well I gave it a crack and made up a recipe

1 can Brewcraft munich lager
300g dextrose
500g wheat LDM
12g Saaz @ 10min
12g Pride of ringwood @0min

US05 yeast

filled to 21 L

Anyone reccomend dry hopping? if so what and how much?

Thanks

Not POR at 0 min.

If you have only those 2 hops, I'd leave out the POR, unless you want a 45-60 minute addition for some additional bitterness.

As most on here will attest - POR is pretty well a pure bittering hop (and clean if used correctly), and doesn't offer much as a dry hop. Do a search on that, you'll get more than my opinion on it.

Saaz offers a fair bit for dry hopping/0 minute additions.

As for dry hopping - whether you want to depends on what you are making. It appears as though you're going for an easy drinking eurolager-esque ale (assuming sub-20 degree fermentation with US05). In which case, you wouldn't really need to bother with dry hopping. The 10 minute Saaz addition will give you some extra flavour, but not overly so.

Grab a hold of the AABC/BJCP guidelines - look for the type of beer you're attempting, and see whether dry hopping is a hallmark of the style. It almost inevitably either says "not aggressively dry hopped" or under the aroma category "medium-high hop aroma" (which indicates a fair amount of dry hopping), or "little or no hop aroma" (indicating little or no dry hopping, and little or no late hopping).

Hope this all helps.

Goomba

Looking at those quantities, are you using those hop tea bags from a LHBS? If so, I'd suggest getting a 90g pack of Saaz or Hallertau Traditional pellets, works out a third of the cost per gram and if you keep it sealed up in the fridge, will last you a few brews.

Suggest a 10 min boil with 20g and 10g at "flame-out" to extract some aroma, but not dry hopping as such.

Otherwise looks good for a "fake lager" :)

Thanks guys for the advice.

No i am not using teabags i buy my hops in 100g packets and reseal and freeze.

Thanks for the advice on POR. It was too late and already did the brew with the POR hope when i keg
it, it wont be too bitter.

Thanks guys for the advice.

No i am not using teabags i buy my hops in 100g packets and reseal and freeze.

Thanks for the advice on POR. It was too late and already did the brew with the POR hope when i keg
it, it wont be too bitter.

It won't be too bitter, it's more that some brewers find (especially with POR Pellets) that POR (and Cluster - XXXX hop) late tends to provide a slightly cat pee taste/aroma.

Truth be told, the quantity you use will probably not be large enough, so that if you did experience this issue, to ruin the beer.

I know it's too late, but Pacifica (Pacific Hallertauer) is a great aroma hop for Fake Lagers.

Goomba

Back