Recommend me a new sanitiser

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrTwalky said:
Hydrogen Peroxide. If you're careful handling acids (glasses/gloves/mask) then you'll be fine and it will save you money. We had 15L cubes of the stuff when I was working in a brewery. It's the sanitiser you find in some of those no rinse premixed bottles at your LHBS.

Pro tip: UV light reduces it's effectiveness. The 15L cubes it comes in are black. I have a spray bottle covered in duct tape, which I change regularly.
I used to get really strong peroxide in 5ltr bottles. Its fun stuff. Had to have a vented cap and kept in the fridge. Turns your fingers white,

OT - i use piranha solution regularly in the lab. Great for cleaning the glassware. Can get a little frisky if there's too much organic material present. Conc sulfuric acid and 30-50% hydrogen peroxide. Fun stuff.

Hydrogen peroxide doesn't work by releasing free oxygen as oxygen doesn't react with organic molecules. The active compounds are superoxide radicals and/or the highly reactive hydroxide radical.

I use peroxide at the opposite end of the pH spectrum: alkaline peroxide etchant (1M H2O2 + 1M NaOH) is one of the few things that works on titanium.

Back in the 80's we used to use chromate + sulphuric as the glass cleaning solution. It's still recommended for use when de-smutting etched stainless but it poses disposal difficulties as it's corrosive, reactive, toxic and carcinogenic.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
I use peroxide at the opposite end of the pH spectrum: alkaline peroxide etchant (1M H2O2 + 1M NaOH) is one of the few things that works on titanium.

Back in the 80's we used to use chromate + sulphuric as the glass cleaning solution. It's still recommended for use when de-smutting etched stainless but it poses disposal difficulties as it's corrosive, reactive, toxic and carcinogenic.
OT - that's quite dilute for etching.

Actually it's lower than I said: 1M H2O2 + 0.5M NaOH. It's very slow at room temp but works in about 20 minutes at 60 C.

The last time I saw someone suggesting the use of piranha solution on a forum (as a joke), they almost got banned. Apparently the mods thought that there were people stupid enough to do a quick Google around and mix it up without realising just how violent it can be.

Back