Recommend Me A Drop!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glolite

Reaction score
gday im new to homebrew, having only 4 brews under my belt!
ive come across this forum and it seems a great resource of information, spent alot of time reading through everything here, one thing im unsure about is the different styles of beer, i mean ive read a few links presented here but havent had much of a taste of things around, a couple of weeks ago i went and bought a little creatures pale ale and a coopers pale ale, and a beez neez? well i didnt really enjoy the pale ale especially the lcpa, im sure alot of you guys disagree! i enjoy the coopers sparkling ale and tried to replicate that but it wasnt great
So im wondering if you guys could possibly suggest some beers to buy to flavour so i can get a better understanding of the different styles so i have more dirrection in my brewing.
thanks for any help, and ill say again its been great to read through all the threads on this forum looks like u guys know alot!

josh

i also was not a fan of my coopers sparkling, but after 2 months in the bottle it taste quite alot better, and very close to the original.

As for different beers, i would say try everything you can, and find what you like. and once you know what you enjoy, start brewing that type of beer and refining it.

try all the james squire beers, that will be a good start.

SJW said:
try all the james squire beers, that will be a good start.
ill second that. their amber, and pilsner are very niec and they also have a porter. for a stout, try coopers. as for pale ale, if you arent hot on lcpa, im not too sure of any others available. i guess it depends on where you are if there are any micros nearby.
in most regions (even tasmania), you should be able to find some good imports. belgian, german, and british. to save some money, as they can be expensive, try doing some research on them before you buy. or just go for it, even if you dont like it, at least you'll know for next time.
joe

try a rochford 10 is goood or a paulener salvator is nice to and lots of homebews by other brewers

For a stout, try a sheaf stout.......but let it sit on the bench for 15-20 minutes before pouring.. there is a slight sourness in the background..yum!

Give any of the Erdinger Wheat beers a go.
Yummmmmm

Doc

cheers guys,
i have tried some squires in the past,
will go out in the next couple of days after uni exams :( and see what i can get,
thanks for the help
josh

btw i recall reading about some linefield brewers club in sydney? but cant seem to find the person that posted? anyone help me out?
cheers

Gerard posted the details for the Sydney North Shore brewers in this thread here.

Beers,
Doc

thanks guys,
went and got some squires, well the ones i havent tried
india pale ale
pilsener
australian strong ale
porter

i got a coopers extra stout
and i took docs advice and bought a erdinger wheat beer the "with fine yeast" one.

will give them a try tonight, guess this will give me a starting idea on what takes my fancy, although i think my tastebuds have been overloaded by vb and new in my youth.
thanks for the tips!
josh

Hey Josh,

That Australian Strong Ale is verrrrry nice. Yum-yum. Had some at the Malt Shovel Brewhouse week before last at the Yeast Management talk they had there. It's very nutty.

okay well after the tasting session ive got a better understanding of what type of drop i like.
started with the india pale ale, well im not a fan of a pale ale so was interested to taste the india pale ale, somewhat similar to the pale ales ive tasted before but a nicer flavor i found, still not especially my cup of tea, or beer for that matter
next was the strong ale which i really enjoyed, had a nice intial and after taste and the alcohol content wasnt overpowering as i intially thought it may have been, it says on the bottle that this is to match its english counter part, is this a english strong ale or wat is the equivilant?
then i tried the erdinger, which had a very limited taste? almost watery? :huh: although it was very easy to drink it didnt have a distinct taste and i couldnt really pick out the wheat aspect?
the pilsener was next which was nice and ive tried before, not too strong but enough flavour to enjoy
lastly i had the coopers extra stout which was obviously different to all the rest, i like the roasted flavour it has, ill definately try to sample some of the other stouts in the future.
lastly i had some stout with the pilsener to try a half half? something my old man said is his favourite drop? it didnt taste bad although the stout was overpowering.
anyways was good to sample all of these styles and get some appreciation of wat all you guys talk about here! thanks for the help
josh
ps hopeye id definately have another round of the stong ale, sure it would be very nice off the tap

Hopeye said:
Hey Josh,

That Australian Strong Ale is verrrrry nice. Yum-yum. Had some at the Malt Shovel Brewhouse week before last at the Yeast Management talk they had there. It's very nutty.
You sure that wasn't Fat *******'s stool sample you were drinking Hopeye :unsure:

C&B
TDA

Back