Recommend me a commercial porter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattdean4130

Reaction score
So, i've never tried a Porter.
Hadn't even heard of it until poking around on home brew forums.

I'm a Coopers drinker predominantly. Enjoy Pale ale and Sparkling Ale, as well as Best extra stout...

Can anybody recommend me a nice Porter, that's easily available at a Dan Murphy's or something?

Cheers! :chug:

Matt

Zywiec porter (Baltic porter).

About $20 for a sixer. Deceivingly strong.

treefiddy said:
Zywiec porter (Baltic porter).

About $20 for a sixer. Deceivingly strong.
Couldn't agree more! Good call TF.

Ballast Point Black Marlin porter - available at woolies bottle o's and presumably dan's.

Samuel Smiths taddy porter and fullers london porter are faves.

Above recommendations are all good too.

Tokyo Black by Yo-Ho Brewing Company.
Japanese, comes in a can, tastes super delicious.
beer_62785.jpg

manticle said:
Samuel Smiths taddy porter and fullers london porter are faves.

Above recommendations are all good too.
Second this.

Cooper Dark is a porter as is Tooheys Old. They are basically brown porters

Keep in mind there 2 styles of Porter . Brown & Robust.

Porter was the style that Stout was derived from.The main difference is that Stout uses roast barley and porter does not.

James Squire make a robust porter but it uses RB so it is more of a stout

Thanking you all!
Will get on this tomorrow, now the only question is which one to choose!

Porter seems to be an underrepresented beer style judging on what's available at Dan's.

As has been said, Zywiec Porter is a great, easy drinking :blink: , 9.5% Porter.

Ballast point Black Marlin Porter is also good.

I like to brew Porters and would like to see more commercial versions. I like them better than stouts.

Damian.

I would not recommend Stoke Dark . I bought a six pack of this today and while for me it's not terrible , I've had lots that are better.

Renaissance Elemental Porter is not to shabby if it is stocked there. Tuatara London Porter. Knee Deep Porter. Also go with those who recommended the Ballast Point.
:icon_drool2:

Ducatiboy stu said:

Keep in mind there 2 styles of Porter . Brown & Robust.

Porter was the style that Stout was derived from.The main difference is that Stout uses roast barley and porter does not.

James Squire make a robust porter but it uses RB so it is more of a stout
I'm not sure I agree. RB has historically been used in porters and according to various guidelines, it is a perfectly legitimate ingredient in modern times. My own RP recipe contains RB.

Main difference in modern times between the two is the amount of roastiness ad the colour but whether that roastiness and colour comes from roast barley or black is irrelevant - just shouldn't be overshadowing other flavours and shouldn't be as full on as a stout.

Okocim is a readily available and pretty good porter. At the sweeter and full bodied end of the style which I like.

Ballast Point Black Marlin porter changed my entire viewpoint on dark beers. I was never a huge fan of darker beers, but I could drink Black Marlin all night long.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Funny you should say that Stu. I hadn't had a commercial porter when I first started making them and I tried a Tooheys old first time in 10 years and it was very, very similar to my porter.

I've never had a Toohey's Old, but I'm told that it's actually halfway drinkable, which is bizarre.

Samuel Smith's is lovely, wouldn't bother with the Black Marlin unless its half price.
James Squire is not bad and easy to find.
The Zywiec is not the greatest but you forget about that fairly quickly when your drinking them.
A great style this time of year.

slash22000 said:
I've never had a Toohey's Old, but I'm told that it's actually halfway drinkable, which is bizarre.
Old is my goto beer at the pub's around town, not a decent beer on tap in town.
Stick with the pommy offerings for a bit of genuine flavour.

Back